Tip for OW classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i didnt tip my dm But i did buy his sandwitch after the last OW dive.

I cannot understand why people do not offer a tip to the person who assisted them in learning to dive. People tip a bartender a dollar for simply pouring a drink People tip waiter/waitress 20% for taking a dinner order and simply bringing it to table.They did not even have to shop for it or cook it.
A DM or instructor will instruct you to survive in the water.If you screw up a DM /instr will jump in and save your sorry ass.Never mind all the preparations before a boat dive or class that need to be done.. Hell, a DM /instructor may even set up a grill at a dive site for surface interval hot dog/hamburger for you that they paid for out of their pocket. If at a classroom they may bring donuts/bagels/coffee that they paid for out of their pocket..
Why not reward this excellent caring customer service with a tip? Lets say ow class academics and confined water costs $269. In a class of 5 the instructor gets perhaps a total of $50. or less per student for close to spending up to 20 HOURS with you. I would think a tip of $10. per module (there are 5 in a PADI course would be appropriate and generous. Think about it, you tip a bartender easily $10. for drinks in 1 night, if not more..forget about the amount of tips at a "gentlemans club" that gets spread around.

I cannot understand why people do not offer a tip to the person who assisted them in learning to dive. People tip a bartender a dollar for simply pouring a drink People tip waiter/waitress 20% for taking a dinner order and simply bringing it to table.They did not even have to shop for it or cook it.
A DM or instructor will instruct you to survive in the water.If you screw up a DM /instr will jump in and save your sorry ass.Never mind all the preparations before a boat dive or class that need to be done.. Hell, a DM /instructor may even set up a grill at a dive site for surface interval hot dog/hamburger for you that they paid for out of their pocket. If at a classroom they may bring donuts/bagels/coffee that they paid for out of their pocket..

Maybe I agree with you and tipping an instructor would make sense. But people don't tip teachers--any teachers (I was one)--including private music teachers, karate class teachers, etc. DMs on a boat and waitresses yes, but they are not teachers. Not saying it's right, just an explanation.

The problem is that most people have completely forgotten what a tip is.

If you want a fair wage, charge a fair rate.

A tip is discretionary. Don't count on it, don't expect it, don't bitch if you don't get it.

BTW, I tended bar for ~ 5 years in my youth, 2 years full time and 3 years while in school. I know what a difference tips can make. But at no point did I ever EXPECT a customer to tip.

I chose to take the job for the wage it paid and the POSSIBILITY of tips. I had no right to anything except the wage I contracted with my employer for.

IMO it is irresponsible for an employer in any industry to expect their employees to negotiate their wage with each and every customer. Yet that is what this whole tipping thing has turned into.

Tipping is not a moral issue. I really wish people would stop with the whole guilt thing.

Don't tell me I need to tip my instructor or DM if you are not tipping your doctor or your lawyer or your plumber or your accountant or your tax preparer or your child's teacher or your local MP or senator or congressman or every other professional you employ.

I will tip when I feel it has been earned, not because someone else seems to feel I am obligated.

If it is an obligation, put it in the contract. Otherwise you have no right to expect it.

EDIT:

BTW, I generally do tip fairly well. I also tip ZERO when I am not happy.

Don't tell me I need to tip my instructor or DM if you are not tipping your doctor or your lawyer or your plumber or your accountant or your tax preparer or your child's teacher or your local MP or senator or congressman or every other professional you employ.

really cannot compare doctor/lawyer/accountant to a scuba instructor/ dM..they are not in the service industry ..Oh and yes I do tip my plumber a $20. for him to get lunch when he does a neat job. Tip a senator/congressman can get you in jail..

If you want to tip, don't tip the doctor. Tip the one that codes and submits the paperwork to the insurance company. $100/15min for the doctor is more than fair. IMO

really cannot compare doctor/lawyer/accountant to a scuba instructor/ dM..they are not in the service industry ..Oh and yes I do tip my plumber a $20. for him to get lunch when he does a neat job. Tip a senator/congressman can get you in jail..

I'm curious how you think doctors, lawyers, and accountants aren't in a service industry but plumbers and scuba instructors are. All of those professions provide a SERVICE, not a product. That is the definition of a "service industry". Arguably the plumber is the least "service" because he might actually build something for you that is more than just information.

All industries where the employee deals directly with the customer IS a service industry in some form or another. The only things that aren't service industries are manufacturing and production where things are built/made by people in a factory that the customer never interacts with or sees.

That said, I don't tip my doctor, plumber, or lawyer. I do tip DMs and my tattoo artist. I don't tip my mailman and trash collectors but I do tip bartenders and restaurant wait staff. I sometimes tip taxi drivers, if they help with my bags (rare for some reason) but I don't tip people who stand in the bathroom to give me a paper towel after I've washed my hands. More importantly, to me, I treat all of these professionals with equal respect, whether or not I give them a tip.

Just had to add this-- Don't tip ambulance, doctors, nurses or hospital staff. My wife just used these services here in the U.S. 2 months ago and was away from our condo a total of 4 hours--to the tune of nearly $6,000 (did include an IV and prescriptions--over the counter that cost a total of $12.)......I almost forgot how stuff like that is States-side.

Back
Top Bottom