Tipping In Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
JonnieB

JonnieB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What are appropriate amounts to tip dive guides in Bali. I want to tip an appropriate amount but don't want to tip out of proportion to the local salary structure. As a point of reference, for 2023, the minimum daily wage is about IDR 80,000 or about USD 5.50. Now I consider the work of the dive masters and guides to be skilled work requiring special training and knowledge so I wish to tip appropriately, which also demonstrates to locals there is a way to make a living in the industry.

So per dive or let's say for a 2 or 3 dive day, what's an appropriate tip or how much do board members tip in Bali?

Ehhh.. we Know your rules but when we stayed one week at your resort in lembeh we generously tipped our dive guide + the boat guys and also the main staff at the checkout..
sorry! 😉
Thank you for this. It probably means that the man or woman living in Bitung and doing all the shopping daily (starting at 05.30 in the morning) and the person doing your laundry have been left out. We write the tips on the bills and it is visible for all our employees. Everybody involved in the service of our guests get an equal share, related to the number of hours they usually work, this includes also our drivers. The dive guides usually receive a higher salary than the other members of the staff. And we do not see any reason why they should be getting a higher tip than, let's say the cook. Not everybody who was at you service might not be there the last day of your stay. And miss out because of bad luck? This creates a very unfair situation and " social jealousy" . Our employees have agreed to give all tips they receive personally to share it with their co-workers. Of course this is very hard for them and they will sometimes be tempted to keep quiet. This can cause a very bad internal situation within our team.

Thank you for this. It probably means that the man or woman living in Bitung and doing all the shopping daily (starting at 05.30 in the morning) and the person doing your laundry have been left out.

You didn’t share with them the main tip we leave at the checkout?

We write the tips on the bills and it is visible for all our employees.

Was years ago.. I don’t remember that.. but we were very happy for the service cleanliness ecc ecc and leave the main tip with pleasure!

Everybody involved in the service of our guests get an equal share, related to the number of hours they usually work, this includes also our drivers. The dive guides usually receive a higher salary than the other members of the staff.

We know it.. like almost everywhere… skills.. responsibilities…

And we do not see any reason why they should be getting a higher tip than, let's say the cook.

In the real world billions of people never get tipped a single time in their entire life.. but also never get a decent salary… why a waitress deserve to be tipped and a nurse that literally clean the **** out from our asses not? Or why they deserve the same tip?

Not everybody who was at you service might not be there the last day of your stay. And miss out because of bad luck?

We give the main tip at the checkout..

This creates a very unfair situation and " social jealousy" Our employees have agreed to give all tips they receive personally to share it with their co-workers. Of course this is very hard for them and they will sometimes be tempted to keep quiet. This can cause a very bad internal situation within our team.

I can understand your point but I have the right to partially disagree… you can’t control everything..
I tipped the dive guide and our boat crew.. and after we tipped all the staff.. the only difference with the other guests of that week is that yesterday i said it to you.. I clearly remember an American guy with private guide and boat that tip everyone from day 1… for having top notch diving service.. he said… 😅

You didn’t share with them the main tip we leave at the checkout?

Was years ago.. I don’t remember that.. but we were very happy for the service cleanliness ecc ecc and leave the main tip with pleasure!

We know it.. like almost everywhere… skills.. responsibilities…

In the real world billions of people never get tipped a single time in their entire life.. but also never get a decent salary… why a waitress deserve to be tipped and a nurse that literally clean the **** out from our asses not? Or why they deserve the same tip?

We give the main tip at the checkout..

I can understand your point but I have the right to partially disagree… you can’t control everything..
I tipped the dive guide and our boat crew.. and after we tipped all the staff.. the only difference with the other guests of that week is that yesterday i said it to you.. I clearly remember an American guy with private guide and boat that tip everyone from day 1… for having top notch diving service.. he said… 😅
I have to apologize for this, but I only see the name you use here in this forum. I do not know who you are, and thus not when you were here. If there was a main tip, it would have been shared. I do not have an opinion about tipping in general. I understand that cultures and business can have opposite ideas about this. For example Japan and the USA, and restaurants and hospitals. I only wanted to share how we deal with this, and for what reasons. We do not have nurses working here. And our salaries should be fare, even if they do not get any tip. If we cannot pay a fare and guaranteed salary anymore we have to close our business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom