tizip leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, the only issue I have had was my own fault (forgot to lubricate).

A couple of recommendations:
1. Clean zipper thoroughly if you used other lubricants
2. Lube bottom only with T-Zip Lube
3. Leak test suit, to confirm - If it passes (no leaks anywhere) proper leak test it will be dry.

How was the zipper stored? According to the manufacturer, you should store it FULLY closed.

Leak test: no other leaks.
I only use the tizip lube.
Stored? I dive 3-4 times a week, if the suit is wet inside I need to dry it of course. Other times I have a place in the bathroom to hang it to dry, with the recommended way to store. So that is not done wrong too. Zip is never bent, never opened to far os so. You don't see anything worn at the zip. It is not delaminated like you see sometimes if a zip stays wet (my suit is always on a hanger to dry after a day diving, so next day it is dry again).
I cleaned now again the zip, tomorrow a new try. Problem is that it is not always that it leaks. And if it leaks, then it is not a small leak, but a total flood.

Stored? I dive 3-4 times a week, if the suit is wet inside I need to dry it of course. Other times I have a place in the bathroom to hang it to dry, with the recommended way to store. So that is not done wrong too. Zip is never bent, never opened to far os so. You don't see anything worn at the zip. It is not delaminated like you see sometimes if a zip stays wet (my suit is always on a hanger to dry after a day diving, so next day it is dry again).
I cleaned now again the zip, tomorrow a new try. Problem is that it is not always that it leaks. And if it leaks, then it is not a small leak, but a total flood.

have you you spoken to Santi? Did they offer any suggestions or fixes? Cheers.

---------- Post added February 11th, 2014 at 07:24 AM ----------

How was the zipper stored? According to the manufacturer, you should store it FULLY closed.

I guess it depends on definition of storage but in the Santi video it says leave zip half closed/open.

So after further inspection i found a spot where the zipper delaminated peeled off the suit. This install was not done by santi, I had it placed into my old espace by another drysuit repair shop. The zipper was stitched and sealed and the glue let go near the bottom of the zipper. Looks like it just didn't get good adhesion in that area only. No other areas with issues.

Sadly the leak was small enough it never showed up on pressure tests and only leaked when at depth (I tend to dive with the suit vaccum'd to me), it was sucking in a tiny bit of water which over the course the dive (typically 70-90mins) had my foot dripping wet when i got out of suit and my leg damp right up to the zipper.

Now just to get it repaired under warranty by the shop and i'll be back in action. Until then though I'll dive damp and send it in.

Steve

Ever since I have had my zipper replaced and had a tizip put it my right foot gets damp.

I thought I punctured a hole in the suit but i am not able to find a leak in the boot. Now after reading this thread i wonder if the zipper is the issue. I'll have to check after a dive if my underwear is damp by the end of the zipper in the drysuit. Might be the reason why.

Hopefully it is not because i quite like the tizip and the ease of use.

Regards

Steve

Regards

Steve

Yesterday I was dry again.
So there is something that makes it leaking, but not every dive. A test shows no leak, so then no warranty replacement. But I want to stay dry every dive of course.
A metal zipper was not an option in my suit. When I ordered the suit, I said I want a metal zip and got it. That was from a bad batch, I know 4 other divers that had same problems as me with that steel zip. So I could get a replacement without costs, but only a tizip, Santi only uses tizip now. The zip is not as stiff as metal, but I did not have problems with metal. It is easier to maintain. But staying dry is most important of course. Seems that I am the only person with this problems?

not spoken to santi, but to the seller. She said we never heard this.

Do you get wet immediately on getting into the water?

I had this a few times when I got my first Tizip, and it turned out to be me not completely closing the zip. Unlike a metal zip, there is very little leaway on closing the plastic zips.

HTH
John

not spoken to santi, but to the seller. She said we never heard this.

I'd be interested to hear what Santi would say about this. Maybe post over in Santis forum under Manufacturers". Might be worth a shot. Good luck, I can only imagine how frustrating this must be.

Back
Top Bottom