tizip leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you get wet immediately on getting into the water?

I had this a few times when I got my first Tizip, and it turned out to be me not completely closing the zip. Unlike a metal zip, there is very little leaway on closing the plastic zips.

HTH
John

Sometimes yes. Never found that it was not completely closed. I know you need to close it completely. 1 time I forgot to check and then it was not fully closed. But last times it was not directly at start of the dive. On 1 dive I was at 56m, turned myself around to get out of a building, and then my suit flooded. Not nice in 4 degrees water with 50 minutes deco to go. Last weekend I did a shallow dive (13.5m max) in an unknown lake. At end of dive I went up and saw that I needed to swim 50m back to entrance. I decided to do that under water and went back to 3-3.5m depth, and then I felt the water coming in.
Can the zip open a little bit by a movement under water? That is what I am thinking about and if that is possible, I don't like that idea.

I will ask Santi, but other manufacturers use same zips.

How was the zipper stored? According to the manufacturer, you should store it FULLY closed.

I stand corrected. I went to manufacturers site and indeed it says for long term, short term and during transportation zip should be fully closed. It also has different lubing instructions from Santi and states whole zip should be lubricated not just the dock. I'll ignore Santis instructions and go with TiZips. I wonder why Santis directions are different from the manafacturer.

---------- Post added February 14th, 2014 at 04:20 AM ----------

Thanks Steve for the link.

---------- Post added February 14th, 2014 at 04:21 AM ----------

TITEX, the home of Tizip waterproof zippers

That is the same with the grease. Tizip writes that their grease or other brand can be used. But Santi says (they told me in the shop) that I only can use the Tizipgrease. I only used the tizipgrease till now, but other divers use other silicone grease without problems too.
In the instructions I have for the zip is written that I need to lubricate the docking of the zip, so not the whole zip.

That is the same with the grease. Tizip writes that their grease or other brand can be used. But Santi says (they told me in the shop) that I only can use the Tizipgrease. I only used the tizipgrease till now, but other divers use other silicone grease without problems too.
In the instructions I have for the zip is written that I need to lubricate the docking of the zip, so not the whole zip.

Who wrote the instructions you have?

Like I said I'd follow TiZips instructions over anyone else's, being the manufacturer, and they clearly state with diagrams that the whole zip should be lubricated.

I've used several drysuits both front and back zips with TiZips. On the front zips, I kept thinking that I did not close the zipper properly or that the zip had opened up slightly. Turns out that the zipper was leaking from underneath the zipper slider. This happened on a number of the zippers. Another interesting thing is that there seemed to be differing amounts of tension needed to close the slider over the end.

The only reason I can think of the manufacture states the entire zipper and drysuit manufactures states just the dock is for ease of future install.

A lot of divers I have seen tend to over lube everything on a drysuit. This grease/lube has a tendency to migrate to the suit materials making it difficult to install new zippers/seals.

People need to remember that only a tiny amt is needed and to wipe off the excess. Over lubing is worse IMO then not lubing enough with dry suit zippers/seals/etc.

Steve

QUOTE=buddhasummer;7036143]I stand corrected. I went to manufacturers site and indeed it says for long term, short term and during transportation zip should be fully closed. It also has different lubing instructions from Santi and states whole zip should be lubricated not just the dock. I'll ignore Santis instructions and go with TiZips. I wonder why Santis directions are different from the manafacturer.

TITEX, the home of Tizip waterproof zippers[/QUOTE]

Regards

Steve

I stand corrected. I went to manufacturers site and indeed it says for long term, short term and during transportation zip should be fully closed. It also has different lubing instructions from Santi and states whole zip should be lubricated not just the dock. I'll ignore Santis instructions and go with TiZips. I wonder why Santis directions are different from the manafacturer.

TITEX, the home of Tizip waterproof zippers

Not sure where you got the whole zip needs to be lubed. I have been lubing just the docking end and have been fine for almost three years now.

Lubrication:
Both ends closed TIZIP MasterSeal 10 zippers need to be lubricated on the docking end from time to time. Please use the original TIZIP lubricant or other available zipper lubricants. Carefully apply over the docking end surfaces on front, back and inside where they connect to the zipper chain. Repeat before long term storage leaving the slider closed and whenever the area is dry during use.
This is from the MasterSeal 10 page which I believe is what all drysuit manufacturers are using.

Not sure where you got the whole zip needs to be lubed. I have been lubing just the docking end and have been fine for almost three years now.

This is from the MasterSeal 10 page which I believe is what all drysuit manufacturers are using.

As per my post with TiZip link.

Look at the service section this is where he us getting that information. And it is for all their zippers.

Regards

Steve

Taliena,
I have had the TZip for over a year and never had one issue.
I have used both the TZIp lube and other lubes and all has been well.

In your situation I think a letter/phone call to Santi might be worthwhile.

What makes you say it is the zip?

Have you tried using the suit in a bath? ie does it flood with minimal garments underneath AND NO GEAR?
Have you tried tweaking your harness a bit - maybe something is catching the zip from your harness? or maybe the harness itself is moving somehow?

(Before you jump in) have you considered asking someone to check that the zip has not moved once you have gear on?
Maybe do this for a couple of dives and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom