Topside?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally would be a bit careful with regard to some of the food suggestions in KathyV's bump. There are areas of Georgetown that IMO, are not particularly safe for tourists at night.

I personally would be a bit careful with regard to some of the food suggestions in KathyV's bump. There are areas of Georgetown that IMO, are not particularly safe for tourists at night.
Could you elaborate? I'm leaving tomorrow for my first visit and don't want to wander into something I shouldn't.

Sure, I find Grand Cayman to be quite safe but I personally stay away from downtown Georgetown at night other than the main drag along the ocean. Sheddon Road, Crewe Road and Eastern Avenue areas are IMO, a bit sketchy.

If you read the E version of the Cayman Compass from time to time, there is a report on local crime and the courts daily. Kind of gives you an idea of where to stay away from.

Thanks for the feedback - appreciate it.

Kathy that restaurant is owned by the previous owner or Morgans harbor he is a great chef and his prices are very reasonable.

I used to eat at Morgans harbor quite often when he was the owner.

There is no part of George Town that I would feel in the least bit unsafe to drive through. The island is, in general, one of the safest around. If you discount Sheddon, Crewe and Eastern Ave as ways you can use then you rapidly get quite limited.

The restaurant selection on the island is up there with the best, IMO - prices are similar to a big city restaurant prices. There are menus with prices and a map at Grand Cayman Restaurants Guide for Cayman Islands Restaurants but some names for higher end dining would be The Brasserie, Grand Old House, Luca, Blue, Osetra Bay (those two are really high-end, with prices to match!), and Agua.

For more mid-range there are many - some of my faves are Morgan's, Catch, Ragazzi, Tiki Beach (dinner - the lunch there is quite different), Cracked Conch, Blue Cilantro.

You have the various restaurants in Camana Bay - Brooklyn pasta and pizza (not what I thought it would be!), Karoo, Abacus, and the gelato shop for dessert (not to miss, that one!)

For dinner outings you have the catamaran ride over to the Rum Point Club - a really nice experience without breaking the bank. There are also all-you-can eat BBQs at Kabo (boat ride over the sound), Macabuca (on Monday's).

Then more casual you have Craft (a gastropub), Chicken! Chicken!, Welly's Cool Spot, Macabuca, plus several jerk stands.

But if you want over-the-top, you need to do a Sunday Brunch on the island - in my experience, the Ritz one is the top of the line, and also the most expensive. The one at Luca is really good, too.

My only negative would be Calypso Grill - I know that it's the fave of a lot of folks, and it was cool when I first went there 15 years ago, but it's stayed the same while others have improved and I wouldn't rate it any more - cramped tables, and unimaginative sides with the dishes. There are far better waterfront options, imo.

...The restaurant selection on the island is up there with the best, IMO...

If you are heading to the East End, a lot of folks like Tukka for Sunday Brunch, but I haven't tried it yet; but I love watching the Frigate Bird feeding at 5:30 PM during happy hour. Those birds are magnificent and amazing and I've never seen so many of them up close!

Feed the Frigate Birds!

Back
Top Bottom