Torrey Pines P-38 Lightning Photogrammetry Model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fantastic model Brett - very, very impressive!

Your blog over the past few years has made me want to try photogrammetry. I've played with Metashape and some above surface targets, and I'll finally go test some underwater subjects soon. So - I have one question: what focal length/lens do you prefer to use when capturing images for these models?

On the surface images with less lens distortion seem better, so 30-50mm seems to be preferred. Underwater, trying to capture a large area, I'm tempted to go wide angle rather than mid-focal length: so I'm curious what your approach is?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Yes, for above water, I think Metashape recommends either 35 or 50mm. That would be less-than-ideal underwater.

For underwater, definitely wide angle. I use the Nauticam WWL-1B and/or WWL-C wet lenses on almost all of my models (up to 130 degree FOV). I would like to use a 16mm rectilinear lens but I don't want to haul around the 230mm dome port. It has two benefits:

1) Fewer pictures

2) You can get closer to your subject for better color / lighting while still maintaining a reasonably wide field of view (and less water & particulate matter in between)

Regards,

- brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom