Tortola BVI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i've dived the rhone and while it is far from the best site in the caribbean, it had a heck of a lot more fish density than the sites i dived near st thomas. the bvi are reasonable enough for diving as an adjunct activity to island hopping/sailing. i would not view it as a scuba destination like indonesia, but a place you can scuba if already there on vacation.

Thanks for the tag @drrich2. Visited August 2022 with my mom, stepfather (not in the best health) and 26 yr old nephew/dive buddy. Stayed in 2VRBO condos at Sapphire Beach - I knew they had walk out level which my stepfather needs. Couple shore dives at Secret Harbor Resort, Aqua Action dive center. Supposed to do a check out dive with a guide, however no one was available, so we strapped on tanks and did it ourselves. Max depth 22 feet, just nice to swim along. Not a ton of marine life, water in the 80's, neoprene shorts and rash guards. Buddy hadn't been diving in a few years, great weight check/gear shakedown/get wet option. Can't get lost, guessing there is rarely a current as it's a pretty sheltered bay.

Red Hook for boat diving. Windy and waves, sites were limited. We ended up at the wreck of the Cartanza. Us and 3 snorkel boats, 2 other dive boats, and the 'helmet diving aliens'. What a cluster. Depth maybe 50 at the outside drop, cool to see some of the remains > engines mostly. Guide rushed us. As a photog and one interested in fish & behavior, no one pointed out the garden eels waving, or the Queen Trigger or the other cool fish stuff. Just keep kicking! I'm like "BUT WAIT!!! Look!!" Great group -7 divers plus guide. 3 pairs plus a 12 year old kid buddied with the guide who was an awesome diver! His mom sat topside. Second site was Stragglers, pretty rocky-rolly but we all got in and out safely. Stragglers is cool for riding the surge through the canyon, swim throughs, bubbles breaking on the rocks over your head. Saw a couple rays and turtles through here, but the main attraction is the topography. There were a few (my nephew included) who didn't know how to ride the surge, so we had a few crashes. Kick WITH the flow, stop kicking when the surge sweeps in. Far less taxing. Both shops were professional, well equipped and we felt very safe.

As someone else said, it's OK diving if you are there. Mom and Bill wanted to see the famous beaches and honestly the snorkeling at Magens and Trunk was as good as the diving. More fish and we lost count of the turtles at Magens. That was awesome! After the cluster at the Cartanza, we hung up the fins on boats, went back for another tank at Aqua.

Nephew and I snorkeled every day, great little reef at Sapphire - squadrons of squid, turtles every day. Off shore fishing, caught enough yellow tail to keep us in ceviche and grilled tuna for days. I played tour guide, as I had lived/worked on island. Ate some good food, shopped for jewelry. Mostly it was a trip for my mom and stepfather to sit on the beach and enjoy travel while they still can. More a family trip with a few dives thrown in. Better diving is there, but not with the weather we had that week.

I’m looking at the cuan law myself for a trip in Jan of 2024, so I’ll be interested to see the review on the experience with them.

Going on the Cuan Law in November. No high expectations for world-class (or even Caribbean-class) diving.
So 18 of us (15 divers, 3 non divers) went on the Cuan Law in November.
The diving was as expected -- not world-class, but comfortable and interesting, with lots of bleached coral. Some sites were quite fishy. Typically 3 dives per day....one morning, two afternoon. Very relaxed.

The Cuan Law itself, and its 7-person crew, exceeded our expectations and hopes. The accommodations were comfortable, the ambiance was terrific, the crew were exceptional, and the food and snacks were magnificent. The weather helped, of course, but not all days were sunny.

The only black mark was we 15 divers expected nitrox --as shown on their website -- and were ready to pay for it ($10 tank.) It was not available because their analyzer was broken, and even it it had been working they only had 9 nitrox tanks. Although I usually bring an analyzer with me when traveling, I did not this time.
Why nitrox? Two reasons, we are all older and prefer to minimize our N2 uptake (it is a safety issue), and some of us feel less fatigued after multiple=dives-per-day and multiple-days of nitrox dives. [If YOU don't feel the less-fatigue aspect of Nitrox, I'm happy for you. Also, don't give me that " but science says" BS; the available studies are either irrelevant (like single dives in a chamber) or use a different meaning of "fatigue" than a diver does. If you wnt to dbate it, start a new thread.]

The Cuan Law is NOT a dive boat, and is not set up for that. Getting in and out of the water (some dives from the boat, some from RIBs) was slow, not mass production. They did very well with the logistic and boal layout/design they had, but it is not a dive-eat-sleep 5-dives-a-day dive boat. That's good, that's what we wanted, and all 18 were very happy with the trip.

I know you were diving, but what did you think of the activities or potential activities for the non-diving guests? Since that'd be my wife, if we did a trip on this boat.

I know you were diving, but what did you think of the activities or potential activities for the non-diving guests? Since that'd be my wife, if we did a trip on this boat.
There was snorkeling, wakeboarding, Hobicating, all very well managed. Most of the diving sites were not well-suited to snorkeling. Land tours/hikes were available,but we did not use them. We had a beach BBQ with snorkeling on Virgin Gorda; good fun, well-done. I was dissapointed in the trip to The Baths on VG because my wife and I had been there 40 years ago before it became a national park and tourist attraction complete with bars and souvenir stands. Sometimes memories are better than revisits.

Will be in Tortola on March 4 2024. Looking to dive or snorkel a site in need of cleanup.
I would like to do something a little more productive than just a scenic dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom