total rip off....Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The blues u thought were stated as proprietary. That's a great call out though. makes having a charged second set more affordable. I have noticed my transmitter one in particular starts going yellow after about 3 dives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added June 23rd, 2014 at 11:02 AM ----------

Umm half the price :( http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006VY6CPQ?pc_redir=1403304920&robot_redir=1

A lot of people complained that the rechargeable batteries on the X1 were only changeable by the factory, so if they failed, the unit would have to be sent back. (Initially, they couldn't even be replaced, but LV changed that.). They wanted a rechargeable, user replaceable battery.

I figured that if I got 10K charging cycles out of a battery, there was probably going to be a new computer on the market I would want instead of the X1, anyway. (Although so far, there isn't!)

Lol shipping directly from k2 is a a joke, they only do ups and have a minimum 20 dollar ship fee. So not really cost effective to only get a couple six dollar batteries.

Keep looking griffon. There are lots of places that do them cheap. Try also surefire lfp123 they are made by k2.

You can also look on ebay for rechargeable cr123 or 16340 but anything besides the k2 and sure-fire may have a different capacity making the meter possibly incorrect.

A lot of people complained that the rechargeable batteries on the X1 were only changeable by the factory, so if they failed, the unit would have to be sent back. (Initially, they couldn't even be replaced, but LV changed that.). They wanted a rechargeable, user replaceable battery.

I figured that if I got 10K charging cycles out of a battery, there was probably going to be a new computer on the market I would want instead of the X1, anyway. (Although so far, there isn't!)

Any idea what the going rate is on the battery replacement? I had heard a while back it was $400 US. I'm a fan of my X1 and am not currently in need of a battery replacement, but am cringing on having to pull that trigger when the time comes.

The issues of built-in non-changeable batteries, figuring out it's run down when you want to use it, and a mention of the Cobalt came up. I don't have a LiquiVision Lynx - I have a Cobalt console, and that's not a fair comparison. I'm just speaking to what 'works' about the console Cobalt 'way.' Don't know whether you could do this in a wrist unit.

1.) The Cobalt battery doesn't discharge fast at rest. You don't need to charge it up again every couple of weeks. It's easy to see what percent charge remains.

2.) Once fully charged, you can get a lot of dives out of it. Odds are that if you pull if 'off the shelf,' it'll have adequate power for a few dives. If you charge it up before a trip, odds are it can take you through your whole trip 'as is,' (& I'm talking a live-aboard or a week shore diving in Bonaire, 15 - 25+ dives), perhaps with a half-time recharge.

My point is, you're not likely to find it dead when you're about to go for a dive.

I'd like to know just how many dives one ought to be able to get out of a wrist unit compatible battery.

Question for the future: how much added bulk would people accept in, oh, say, a 'Lynx 2,' if that bulk were exclusively used to provide a non-interchangeable internal rechargeable battery 'experience' similar to the console Cobalt?

Richard.

P.S.: I pay some attention to the Lynx because I was really tempted by it, but the battery drama kind'a scared me off.

I would be perfectly happy to mount my cobalt to my wrist if there was a boot for it the ui was tweeted a bit. I don't think wrist bulk, compared to say the ring drysuit bulk I have already is that big of a deal. Diving what it might be more of a thing though. The devil is in the details. The cobalt has a much more refined ui and dose a bunch of things much better in my option then my lynx (compass usability being a huge one). I just don't like the extra cable and slate style comp so I switched. I'll be very interested if atomic ever get's it together and shoves a wrist computer out. Played around mounting the scuba capsule on my arm, bulky too buy seemed to work well. But maybe my tolerance is high. My d9 looked svelte in comparison but was harder to read.

Heard that for a while though. Scuba pro same thing, have that cobalt killer any day now. Course if you are competing with anything 3+ years old...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom