Equipment Gas toxicity blamed for Chinese fatality - Batangas, Philipines

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by equipment failures including personal dive gear, compressors, analyzers, or odd things like a ladder.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The headline says drowned, but the article cites toxic gas as well as quoting Scuba Diving Magazine on Nitrox, but there other possibilities for bad gas and few divers test tanks for Carbon Monoxide.

LUCENA CITY — A Chinese national drowned while scuba diving on Thursday in the waters off Mabini town in Batangas province, the Batangas police said in a report Friday, April 26.

Shunyan Li, a resident of Pasay City, and his two friends were diving near Barangay Solo around 10:30 a.m. when Li encountered oxygen toxicity, the police report said.

His companion brought him to a local hospital, but he was declared dead on arrival.

According to the Scuba Diving Magazine, “oxygen toxicity may occur in divers using nitrox or mixed gases if they exceed the maximum operating depth for the gas they are breathing.”

READ: PNP logs 63 drowning, near-drowning incidents in March

Police are conducting further investigation.

The remains of the victim will be subjected to a post-mortem examination and autopsy to determine the cause of his death.

For now, police have recorded the case as a “drowning” incident. INQ

我认为。至少保证空压机附近没有启动中的汽车,避免使用燃油空压机。是非常有效的手段。

Translation from google. "I think. At least make sure there are no starting cars near the air compressor and avoid using fuel air compressors. It is a very effective means."

"I think. At least make sure there are no starting cars near the air compressor and avoid using fuel air compressors. It is a very effective means."
True, plus overheated oil lubricant compressors are a major risk. The only safe air is from a tested tank. Two tanks from the same compressor can be very different.

The headline says drowned, but the article cites toxic gas as well as quoting Scuba Diving Magazine on Nitrox, but there other possibilities for bad gas and few divers test tanks for Carbon Monoxide.

I'm confused. The article says oxygen toxicity. It does not mention "toxic gas" or "bad gas." Where is that coming from?

If you experience oxygen toxicity, the cause of death will almost certainly be drowning.

I'm confused. The article says oxygen toxicity. It does not mention "toxic gas" or "bad gas." Where is that coming from?
My guess I suppose, taken from " Li encountered oxygen toxicity, the police report said." I doubt that the report is accurate enough to say.

Back
Top Bottom