Transfer from one tank to another

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have some LP72s that have a 3AA2250 rating. They were most recently hydroed at a hydro shop that "doesn't do plus ratings." The local dive shops are conservative and will not fill these beyond 2250 PSI.

I have some FX120s (3442 PSI) that I use top off the LP72s. The fill whip is also useful for filling my AL19 pony cylinder, and an old LP11 that I use for reg maintenance, filling tires, and dusting the blinds. I made my fill whip out of parts, and it cost around $30.

You can use two regulators connected by a HP hose as a transfer whip, although its pretty slow. You just need an adapter to turn the SPG- end of the HP hose into a 7/16" male thread connector.

I picked up a whip when I ran across a sale on one for just under $90 and couldn't help myself. I mostly use it around the shop when pulling a valve for service and charging the tank a bit after. Same thing thing when inspecting out of hydro tanks before buying them. Occasionally I will transfer to top off an LP tank or my pony. There is no way it can make up extra air in a transfer but it does have it's uses. Like I say, I could probably do without it but the price made me stupid.

Bob

Here in Norway, there is a slightly irregular supply of nitrox. When going on trips where I know getting nitrox can be challenging I just bring a few S80s with O2, and a whip, and just fill the O2 before handing my doubles in to be topped with air. Presto... cheap nitrox :D (My local shop sells quite cheap O2)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom