Translate Wetsuit language for me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zaffy

Registered
Reaction score
First of all, I'm a new diver looking for my first wetsuit. Most of my diving will be in Southern California, LA/Ventura County (6mm or 7mm). I'm putting this post here because it's a wetsuit topic, I've been lurking and posting in the socal section already :D. I prefer a fullsuit without a hood. I'm a big guy,

I've sort of narrowed it down to a couple of suits, but I'm looking for some help through the jargon.

First off Bare velocity 7/6 Full
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [*] NEW! PROGRESSIVE STRETCH TECHNOLOGY.
    [*]7mm PROGRESSIVE STRETCH suit with 6mm arm and LUMBARE-X-TENDER panels.
    [*]Adjustable GLIDESEAL neck.
    [*]Heavy-duty PK back zipper with internal gasket.
    [*]Articulated pre-bent arms with mid-forearm internal flip seals.
    [*]Anatomically contoured knees and lower legs with internal mid-calf flip seals.
    [*]LUMBARE-X-TENDER panel in lower back.
    [*]ARMOR-FLEX lower leg protection.
    [*]PK ankle zippers for easy donning.
    [*]Glued and blind stitched.
    [/FONT]
MSRP: $300.
My question here is, what does Progressive stretch do for me? Glued and Blind stitched? I know most of the points they have are marketing.

Second, 2 people have recommended Henderson Hyperstretch, 1 person warned against it.
Their website doesn't seem to have any useful info about it. So just wondering what peoples opinions are on this suit.

MSRP: $360

3rd, Bodyglove Excursion Elite.
mens fullsuit - MATERIALS
• vaporflex on shoulders and sleeves
• future flex chest, back, and legs
• partial fluid seal seams and wrists
• platinum glideskin interior

CONSTRUCTION
• vaporlock seams
• anatomically cut

FEATURES
• supratex softshock kneepads
• adjustable velcro collar
• interior key pocket

What's a partial fluid seal? Vapor lock seams?
Again, lots of marketing points here.
I tried one of these on, XXL. It fit pretty good and I got it on pretty easy.

MSRP: $300, on sale for $200 until 7/10 :D.

Right now I'm leaning heavily towards Bodyglove, #3, But I want to make sure I'm looking at the right stuff. I wanted to get some opinions from you guys.

Thanks in advance.

Take a look at the nrs website if you want. They have some excellent suits in larger sizes for a great price, let me see if you like anything and I will see if I can help out any on price.

www.nrsweb.com

Brent

A minor point, but your head is a significant source of heat loss. Would not skip the hood particularly if the diving you plan to do requires a 7 mil suit.

Dive dry or warm so can't add more.

I own the Bare Suit - It's a pain to get on because of the rubber seals, but it keeps me warmer than any other suit I've ever tried. Hyperstretches tend to not be as warm, since they are made of a material that stretches and is more porous.

Plus, you can get the Bare 7/6 from ScubaToys for $215 - SB 10%
http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Velocity7mmFullMen

staticcornflake, Thanks for the scuba toys link, that's a good price.

hunter991:
Take a look at the nrs website if you want. They have some excellent suits in larger sizes for a great price, let me see if you like anything and I will see if I can help out any on price.

www.nrsweb.com

Brent
I took a look through the site, I didn't really see anything that grabbed my attention. Thanks anyway though.

Darnold9999:
A minor point, but your head is a significant source of heat loss. Would not skip the hood particularly if the diving you plan to do requires a 7 mil suit.

Dive dry or warm so can't add more.
I've already got a hood that fits well (a gift when I got my cert), So my thinking is that I can use it in the colder months, and not when it's warmer. So far all of my diving has been warm enough that I haven't had a problem not using it. I'm looking at the 7mm so that I can use it in the colder months as well. I know for cold water a built in hood is better, but I like the versatility. or am I wrong? no offense taken or meant btw (sometimes it's hard to tell over the net. Thanks much for your reply. :D

If you have a hood no need to get an integrated one. Just wanted to let you know that no hood in cold water is a bad idea.

I found a LDS on Bares website, so I went there wiht the intention of trying one on. But they didn't currently stock them, but the guy showed me a couple that he did have. Based on what I told him he recommended Scubamax Maxflex at $149, does anyone have experience with this brand? The guy at the shop said that is would hold up the best for beach diving which I want to get into. The other brands he had were Xcel and Pinnacle.

Zaffy, fit is everything in a wetsuit. All that other stuff is pure marketing. :wink:
Buy the suit that fits you best. Especially with a 7mm the wrist and ankle seals are important, you will want something that fits closely at the openings to limit water flow. I like the double, zippered seals on my suit that let me zip the gloves & boots in.
Think Fit.......
Good Luck,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom