Transporting cylinders on commercial airline...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Externet

Contributor
Reaction score
Years ago, I printed a page from TSA regulations and taped it to an empty cylinder with the valve removed. Inside a 'checked' suitcase, arrived with zero problems to destination.

Now I cannot find that clearly written instruction page aimed to the traveler and to TSA airport personnel.
Has there been any change in regulations; or do you know a TSA page that clearly shows the rules, so I can print and affix ?

I still have a number of the older page printed when it was still available. I make copies of that and also print the one in the above link. Nothing blocking inspection is key. I don't think I'd cover the opening with tape.

Personally, I put my pony in my caryon and pull the plastic neck plug right before I put it in the tray and replace it as soon as it clears.

We travel with our Carbon Fiber 2 L tanks all the time and I just carried a bunch of 40's, too. You need to take the valves off. If you don't have plugs for the tanks, wrap the top in plastic.

Some airlines do not allow tanks, Period! Jet Blue and I believe Spirit Airlines do not allow them.

No problem with AA.

If your destination is Costa Rica, you need to tell the airline that you have tanks in your luggage as they may want to open them but you have to be present. That is only when you depart C.R.

C

Some airlines do not allow tanks, Period! Jet Blue and I believe Spirit Airlines do not allow them.

Two things. First, I think they say "no compressed air cylinders" (at least that's what it said the last time I flew Jet Blue). An open ended tube is not a compressed air cylinder.

Second, Jet Blue doesn't look at your checked and carry-on bags. TSA does. I've flown Jet Blue with my pony with no problem. Just took the valve off and made it a water bottle.

Two things. First, I think they say "no compressed air cylinders" (at least that's what it said the last time I flew Jet Blue). An open ended tube is not a compressed air cylinder.

Second, Jet Blue doesn't look at your checked and carry-on bags. TSA does. I've flown Jet Blue with my pony with no problem. Just took the valve off and made it a water bottle.

I am sorry but you are mistaken! Under JetBlue's sporting equipment section it states:

"Neither full nor empty compressed gas cylinders (scuba tanks) are allowed in checked or carry-on baggage"

And yes, we had people who had to leave them behind!

If you were able to get away with it....great!

I am sorry but you are mistaken! Under JetBlue's sporting equipment section it states:

"Neither full nor empty compressed gas cylinders (scuba tanks) are allowed in checked or carry-on baggage"

And yes, we had people who had to leave them behind!

If you were able to get away with it....great!

My mistake. Guess I was lucky. Won't be flying Jet Blue anymore.

I train first responders on SCBA maintnence and often travel with tanks, as long as I don't have a valve in it, I have never had a problem. Just flew back from a confrence in CA on American Airlines. Had 5 tanks in 2 bags and no issues at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom