Question Travel and Common Wisdom or Myth?

Airline Travel; (my)Fact or (your) Myth?

• I carry-on only electronics and prescription drugs/masks?

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • I check everything, i pack it and pad it, send it on it’s way, can’t be bothered

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • SCUBA regs and BCs are likely theft targets in checked bags

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Reg Sets must be carried because they are valuable or delicate?

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • I use TSA locks on everything

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I use PelIcan cases for general travel, cabin baggage, then keep in my room. Just as a suitcase.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I do carry a bailout bottle to WWPF destinations

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baggage Weight Limits: I pay for upgrade or overage, have a special card, as part of my vacay cost

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Why pack? I’m competent enough to inspect rental gear and can use any BC they’ll give me.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • My man Jeeves does that common man type annoyance. He’s has the Sherpa Distinctive Specialty Cert.

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Myth Busters type thinking:

Is it real, or is it a ‘wive’s tale’ ?

2C4FCE5C-8A01-4C44-BE5C-A40F9A6520D8.jpeg

Many threads here involving if/how to pack and transport SCUBA gear, from snorkels to bail out bottles.

Carry it everywhere, stow it as carry-on… or just pack it well and check it?

Avoiding baggage fees by wearing it, carrying it. Is that a thing?

Many threads regarding travel bags that conceal their contents, not marked MARES, etc. Is there an obvious answer if one is concerned?

The perfect travel bag: Is it not the airline standard of the “62 Linear Inch” rule, collapsible flat, with wheels and handle, hard bottom? Meaning 32”x15”x15”…is that hard?

If 50# weight limit ain’t makin’ it, maybe go international or pay the #75 fee?

Pellican cases as cabin baggage headed for resort diving, what is the reasoning?

The delicate nature of regulators- does that concern you?

The intrinsic resale value of stolen SCUBA gear, is it really worth stealing?

The likelihood of SCUBA gear being pilfered by airline baggage handlers, any first hand victims?

Take a pill? Take a pole? (or just dance on one?)….

DCD24A1F-3C8B-49F7-A25B-FC7CB6BB3336.jpeg

If it doesn't have a battery it goes in my checked luggage

Camera gear typically in my carry on and it often weights as much as my checked dive bag. Just stand tall and pretend its not heavy :)

Many threads regarding travel bags that conceal their contents, not marked MARES, etc. Is there an obvious answer if one is concerned?

Been travelling with the same beat up old Mares roller bag for over 12 years. Never had a problem

The perfect travel bag: Is it not the airline standard of the “62 Linear Inch” rule, collapsible flat, with wheels and handle, hard bottom? Meaning 32”x15”x15”…is that hard?

See above love my Mares bag.

Pay the fee you spend thousands on a holiday to then stress over 40 bucks. I used Delta Amex to get a 2nd bag where I can

Pellican cases as cabin baggage headed for resort diving, what is the reasoning? I can see a use for rebreathers with delicate electronics apart from that never had a problem

Nope in checked luggage in a normal regulator bag. Just put it in the middle of the bag not on top

No idea never had anything stolen

The likelihood of SCUBA gear being pilfered by airline baggage handlers, any first hand victims?

In over 20 years of travel I've never lost a thing. I have been dumb enough to leave my backpack with thousands of dollars of camera gear at the luggage claim and walk out of the airport.....after flagging customs down they went and grabbed it....Nothing missing...figure these days people dont want to mess with a bag thats just sitting there.

Reactions: Doc
Checked bag for lengthy dive trips has my fins, BC, wetsuit(s), toiletries, tools, cutting devices (dive knife, trilobyte) and whatever amount of clothing that still keeps me under 50 lbs. I use a roller bag from Stahlsac.

I carry on 2 bags:
1. A backpack with my laptop, wallet, passport, charger stuff and any paperwork I might need and part of my dive camera/lights. I can get this backpack under the seat in from of me, if needed.
2. Second backpack is larger and goes in the overhead bin. It carries additional clothing, reg set(s), dive computers and mask(s) and remainder of dive camera and lighting.

Budget airlines in SE Asia are far less generous.
1. My checked bag(soft) has never weight more than 15kg. I will add a hand trolley in the future.
2. Hand carry is also well under 7kg and fit under the seat.
3. Not having any photographic equipment makes travelling far less stressful.
4. Lock? what for?

The only reason my regs go in my hand carry is weight, not delicacy. Whether it is OC or rebreather my checked bag is 49 lbs or 69 depending on if I want to pay the extra.

When I was young, I used to date flight attendants almost exclusively and knew many of the secrets to airline travel. I flew all over to dive and just because I could go places on a girlfriend's buddy passes.

A few days after 9/11, my girlfriend at the time, a NWA F/A, was forced to prove she didn't poison her coffee at 0-Dark-00 when she purchased it within yards of security at ABE. She complained she would burn her tongue if she drank it, but security wouldn't let her past unless she dumped it or drank it. I told the security guard he had been staring at her the whole time, and he knew she didn't drop a cyanide tablet in her coffee.

Flying didn't get much better from there. By the Quincy Jones concert series in Bermuda around 2010 or whenever it was, I had enough.

I've only packed gear in trucks and SUVs since. This thread interests me because I'm thinking about flying to dive in the Springtime.

I have a small pelican case that goes in a North Face duffle bag for fragile bits that are larger. Float arms, strobes, spare mask. Wide angle port goes in duffle surrounded by pelican case, fins, backplate and wetsuits.

Things I can’t live without go in carry on. Regs, mask, prescriptions, computer change of clothes etc. Really heavy smaller bits also go in carry on. First stage, hoses, camera housing, strobe arms and connecters. All batteries go in carry on or camera backpack as does the camera, lenses, GoPro and macro port.

Everything else gets distributed among the three bags (carry on, duffle and camera backpack) so I end up with a 50 lbs duffle and an almost 50 lbs carry on and a very heavy camera bag.

Have never lost gear but have had a housing port crushed in checked baggage and have had checked baggage arrive a couple of days into a trip.

Don’t worry about baggage on international flights at all but like to keep to a single checked bag under 50 lbs on regional carriers. More likely that the single bag will make it to the destination with me.

… and yes I carry the carry on as if it only weighs 10 lbs or so too. So far no issues except I am always stopped at security to open the carry on!

If it doesn't have a battery it goes in my checked luggage

Camera gear typically in my carry on and it often weights as much as my checked dive bag. Just stand tall and pretend its not heavy :)

Been travelling with the same beat up old Mares roller bag for over 12 years. Never had a problem

See above love my Mares bag.

Pay the fee you spend thousands on a holiday to then stress over 40 bucks. I used Delta Amex to get a 2nd bag where I can

Pellican cases as cabin baggage headed for resort diving, what is the reasoning? I can see a use for rebreathers with delicate electronics apart from that never had a problem

Nope in checked luggage in a normal regulator bag. Just put it in the middle of the bag not on top

No idea never had anything stolen

In over 20 years of travel I've never lost a thing. I have been dumb enough to leave my backpack with thousands of dollars of camera gear at the luggage claim and walk out of the airport.....after flagging customs down they went and grabbed it....Nothing missing...figure these days people dont want to mess with a bag thats just sitting there.
I’d like to echo part of this- I’ve only ever traveled with my Aqualung traveler bag and have never had an issue with targeting/theft. When our shop goes on a trip, there are around 20-30 of the same bags on the luggage return, and no one I know has had an issue with theft.

I travel light... Only 4 Pelican cases:yeahbaby:

Thank god for United 1k. 3 free checked bags 32kg (70lbs) each

1664502261354.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom