Travel gear (mask, snorkel, fins) for 9-yr old boy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for a some recommendation on some snorkeling gear for a 9-yr old boy. He's got 0 experience snorkeling but he loves water, especially going under the surface. He's part fish. The snorkeling will be in Maui.

Thank you.

As a lifelong snorkeller my advice would be to forget about brands altogether and focus instead on fit.

With fins, ensure that the foot pocket accommodates the boy's growing feet both width- and lengthwise. Too loose a fit will lead to the fin falling off. Too tight and the result will be cramping. If he is between sizes (fins come in multiple sizes such as 5-7, not in single sizes), then select a fin that is slightly too large and use fin grips for security. As for blades, don't select fins that are too stiff for a young beginner.

Fit also matters when choosing a mask. The traditional way of choosing a mask for fit is to apply one to your face without using the straps, create a partial vacuum by breathing in through the nose and seeing whether the mask remains in place. You can never be sure, however, if there will be no water leakage until you try a mask in the water. Be sceptical about the mask recommendation "such and such a mask is guaranteed to fit all faces".

Take care when selecting a snorkel for a young person. National Standards for snorkels have distinguished between breathing tubes for adults and children since the 1970s. Here is a table I compiled from these Standards:
Standards.png

So ensure you choose a snorkel that is not too long or the boy may strain to breathe.

Finally, you use the word "travel" in your description of snorkelling gear, which always makes me shudder a little because it means that the airline unduly influences gear choice. What fits and suits the snorkeller, particularly when it is a young beginner, must be paramount. I've never been to Hawaii, but I understand that there will be plenty of snorkel rental outlets there so he may decide to leave equipment selection until he gets there. One of the recommendations in old snorkelling books is to borrow and try out gear from friends, which will at least inform choice when getting round to purchasing before departure.

And just to reinforce the point, remember that fit is the most important factor, not colour or branding!

Last edited:
I concur with David on fit, children growth etc....

You are possibly a little late but all the grandchildren's snorkeling equipment was obtained at the "dollar stores." Mask & snorkel set was a dollar the fins were a dollar.

The ones they have are miniatures of professional models....Some are silicone some rubber all have double seals, all have tempered glass. The fins fit without unexpected problems which was solved by the use of a pair of socks.

Two of the older grandchildren are now using the US Divers snorkel sets...go to a professional store for these units $$$

A snorkel's length can always be reduced as needed ...just snip snip ...but you can never add length .

Several years before the advent of the "Big Bore" Snorkel, 40 perhaps 50 years ago at the when the long thin J shaped difficult breathing and easy to snag was the standard of the sport I published an article titled "Chop your snorkel." the article and the magazine and all my copies are now "Gone with the wind" (or the tide?)

FYI: a tid bit of history .... the big bore snorkel came from SoCal competitive spear fishing tribe...they were constructed from PVC and various mouth pieces ...The standard snorkel barrel internal diameter was determined by the diameter of the PVC of that era. I made one which I used until the industry began producing big bores.

I was consulting to a number of the majors and made ONE contribution which I never received any $$$ or acknowledgement--thank goodness for small favors ... (I was a retained consultant ) which was the short lived flared top snorkel ...10 percent more air was advertised (but 90 percent more water so my friends said)

Last a little about my only son who began in the bath tub and became a diver...

~~~ Finding a physician who actually knows about diving. ~~~

Perhaps reading about Sam IV will offer a little encouragement for your son

Cheers from California

SDM 111

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom