Treatment for the common cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pufferfish said...

Zinc acetate does not appear to work.

Howdy pufferfish:

The study you quote also seems to say that zinc gluconate lozenges don't work either. It states, "Neither formulation" (zinc acetate nor zinc gluconate) "had an effect on the duration or severity of natural cold symptoms".

John Reinertson said...

There is a legend that oral zinc tablets don't work, but there has never been a study...

Howdy John:

Here are a couple more studies that call into question the effectiveness of zinc lozenges:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entr...eve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2820298&dopt=Abstract

and

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entr...eve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3298301&dopt=Abstract

Several other studies indicate that zinc lozenges do reduce the duration and/or severity of cold symptoms, but there does seem to be some legitimate concern about just how effective zinc lozenges might be. It's possible that similar concerns will crop up over time as zinc gels are looked at by additional researchers.

HTH,

Bill

Bill,

Here is the study supported by the manufacturers of Cold-Eeze which showed that zinc gluconate lozenges do indeed work.

Zinc gluconate

Studies back from 1987 I am suspect of as the importance of zinc formulation type, delivery method, taste of placebo, and compliance were not considered in the 'old' days.

I started out using the zinc cherry flavoured tablets which had 23mg of zinc salt and had to give up due to nausea. Then the zinc gluconate lozenges came out with 13.3mg of zinc and these were actually quite palatable but if one did take them every two hours again nausea became an issue. According to the above study and my experience they did work.

I think the main issue in many of those negative studies for zinc is likely compliance due to taste or nausea. Advising people to ingest something that makes one feel ill every two hours goes against the creed of 'do no harm'.

So along comes the nasal gel spray with lots of bioavailable zinc (the key I think) in a tasteless formulation and delivery system which maximizes the zinc remaining in the nose where the virus hangs out. Poor taste, nausea and therefore compliance are no longer factors for the user. I agree that a trial comparing zinc gluconate lozenges to the nasal gel spray is what it needed. My prediction is the nasal gel will win hands down due to better compliance and the sticky gel delivery system.

We all have been waiting for that 'holy grail' in medicine, a good treatment for the common cold. Zicam is probably as close to the holy grail as we will find. Not only do I have a bottle in the medicine cabinet but one in my 'save-a-dive' kit too. Best invention since sliced bread.

Disclaimer: Puffer does not have any financial connection to Zicam or Cold-Eeze :D

pufferfish once bubbled...
Bill,

Here is the study supported by the manufacturers of Cold-Eeze which showed that zinc gluconate lozenges do indeed work.

Zinc gluconate

Howdy pufferfish:

Thanks so much for the link. You'll note from my earlier post I am quite aware that there are indeed studies supporting the use of zinc products for colds- including, I'm sure, studies supported by the manufacturers of the products. I just found it interesting that the same study that you referenced that apparently indicated to you that zinc acetate "doesn't appear to work" also shows that your zinc gluconate "doesn't appear to work" in naturally occuring colds. An interesting dichotomy.

Now, where is my copy of that study that shows that cold fusion works..... (grin)

Regards,

Bill

My garlic soup recipe will blow those dang zinc sprays & tablets out of the water. :D

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 bulbs of garlic; minced (2-3 tbs dried)
6 cups Chicken Stock (bullion works fine)
1 bay leaf
1/2 Habanero pepper; seeded & thinly sliced
juice of 1 lime
salt to taste

Do a quick sautee of the garlic & olive oil, add stock & bay leaf, simmer for 15 minutes.
Garnish w/habanero & lime juice.

For something a tad more substantial, crack an egg into it just before serving.

Bill. now cold fusion, that would be the holy grail,...less reliance on the Middle East for oil and I guess Texas too :wink:

Bob3, I am all for 'home' treatments for the common cold and love to collect them. That does sound very tasty but might be hard to put in a save-a-dive kit.

The best treatment I have heard to date was from a 75 year old Eastern european gentleman who said you must take your wife's dirty sock (the dirtier the better he said) and breath through it three times a day for ten minutes. I asked him if he was joking and he said, NO.

So let's hear your home remedies for the common cold,..poultices, syrups, soups, drinks, whatever. Should be interesting and timely too for all those of us cooped up indoors because of the 'cold'.

Puffer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom