Trim in doubles between x7-100 HP100s and newer XS scuba Faber HP100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoyoguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hoping someone could enlighten me about the trim differences one might expect from going from double x7-100 HP100s to the newer coated xs-scuba faber HP100s (Heard these are actually more like 107 cuft). Here is a link to the faber's I have for your reference http://www.leisurepro.com/p-fbrhp10...^157354258393-sku^FBRHP100G@ADL4LP-adType^PLA

They certainly are a bit taller than the x7-100s and I have also heard their buoyancy characteristics are different as well. Just trying to decide if I should double up the 2 fabers I have to make a second set or not using the DGX manifold and bands costing me only $200. If the trim will be bit different but not challenging to overcome it then ill do it, but if it will be drastically different causing me issues then ill avoid it. Thanks

x7-100's are worthingtons.... and they are completely different tanks. Much shorter and much heavier in the water. The Fabers should trim out a bit better though

x7-100's are worthingtons.... and they are completely different tanks. Much shorter and much heavier in the water. The Fabers should trim out a bit better though
yeah I have heard that. The real concern is doing two dives in a day using both sets and the change in trim. If it is just slight trim adjustment, I.e. one set rides different in their own tank bands, or maybe moving the wing/plate into different position mounting holes then that is fine, but if the change would be so large that I would have to completely adjust the webbing on my harness or bolting different weights on the plate then I might have to pass.

so the beauty of backmount is you have ideally 2 harnesses. One set up for singles, one for doubles, and likely the singles one is steel set up for a wetsuit, and the doubles is kydex/aluminum and set up for drysuit. Adjust that for whatever rigs you use and what not, but the point is that you shouldn't have to adjust your harness for anything other than exposure protection or potentially a ballast requirement difference.

The beauty of doubles is that the bands should always be set at the same spot which is top band right below the crown, and the bottom band 11" below that. I put bands for 7.25" tanks about half an inch below 8" tanks to adjust for the difference in crown heights, but anyway, the bands are all basically the same spot.

The Worthington x7-100's make GREAT tanks paired with PST LP104's because they have the same buoyancy characteristics of -3.3lbs/tank so there is no change.

Now, IF you want to have Worthington 100's and Faber 100's, I would recommend a 6lb v-weight on the Fabers to get them to feel the same as the Worthingtons, or if you are using a light plate on the Worthingtons, use a SS plate on the Fabers.

so the beauty of backmount is you have ideally 2 harnesses. One set up for singles, one for doubles, and likely the singles one is steel set up for a wetsuit, and the doubles is kydex/aluminum and set up for drysuit. Adjust that for whatever rigs you use and what not, but the point is that you shouldn't have to adjust your harness for anything other than exposure protection or potentially a ballast requirement difference.

The beauty of doubles is that the bands should always be set at the same spot which is top band right below the crown, and the bottom band 11" below that. I put bands for 7.25" tanks about half an inch below 8" tanks to adjust for the difference in crown heights, but anyway, the bands are all basically the same spot.

The Worthington x7-100's make GREAT tanks paired with PST LP104's because they have the same buoyancy characteristics of -3.3lbs/tank so there is no change.

Now, IF you want to have Worthington 100's and Faber 100's, I would recommend a 6lb v-weight on the Fabers to get them to feel the same as the Worthingtons, or if you are using a light plate on the Worthingtons, use a SS plate on the Fabers.

Thanks this part "Now, IF you want to have Worthington 100's and Faber 100's, I would recommend a 6lb v-weight on the Fabers to get them to feel the same as the Worthingtons, or if you are using a light plate on the Worthingtons, use a SS plate on the Fabers" is the exact part I was after! I already own a V-weight so sounds pretty simple to me.

You dive the gear, it doesn't dive you.

Back
Top Bottom