Trip Report - Deep South Maldives March 1st To March 12th 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarponchik, can you tell us more about your trip? I'm headed to the Maldives on the Carpe Novo in August. Any information or advice would be appreciated.
Well, I already gave some info here in this thread. What else would you like to know?

Anything that you think a unseasoned traveller or a first time visitor to the Maldives might find useful.

Well, 1st of all, they are safety crazy. Bring your log book and you better answer "no" to all health related questions in the forms they gave you. If you reveal that broke your arm 30 years ago, you'll need doctor's permission to dive. They may require you to buy divers insurance which is not terribly expensive but still $30 per person. DMs are not as much underwater tour guides but underwater traffic cops who make sure you follow the rules.

Strong currents are common on channel dives. Bring your own reef hook or rent one. Better bring safety sausage. Water was the warmest I've ever been diving. Reefs are better to the north of Male, sharks and manta rays are more common to the south. Night diving was good, lots of stuff, so do not skip the nights. Plenty of lionfish and scorpionfishes, including stonefish, so be on alert.

Don't take any booze into the country in your luggage. They take it very seriously.

Are you planning on arriving the day of departure? Safer to plan to arrive the day before and spend the night, just in case something goes awry on your journey to the Maldives (or any liveaboard ). That way, you've given yourself some leeway to still arrive before boat departure.

Take a couple of bathing suits so you can switch into a dry one now and then.

Don't take any booze into the country in your luggage. They take it very seriously.

Are you planning on arriving the day of departure? Safer to plan to arrive the day before and spend the night, just in case something goes awry on your journey to the Maldives (or any liveaboard ). That way, you've given yourself some leeway to still arrive before boat departure.

Take a couple of bathing suits so you can switch into a dry one now and then.
Same on the way back. There are cheap hotels on the beach in Hulhumale, like Ripple Beach where we stayed an extra night after the trip.

I found it ironic when I was there that as soon as we cleared security when departing that this dry country had a duty free liquor store in the airport. I don't know if that is still there but I got a chuckle out of it.

I don't recall seeing anything like that at the airport. I always go to the duty free at Changi upon my return to Singapore (well, no matter where I'm coming from)

Yes it is still there. Same thing in Doha where most shops are duty free alcohol hubs. It is hard to find toothpaste or a magazine stand, just one duty free after another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom