Trip Report Nov. 4, 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rboozer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The original plan was to leave out of John’s Pass on the Aqua Therapy. First stop was to dive and fish culverts at Pinellas South reef.

On the way to the reef we saw some Dolphins feeding. We stuck around for an interesting Dolphin Encounter. The dolphins got within 20 feet of the boat. There were 4 to 6 dolphins in the group.

There were several boats already at Pinellas South Reef I decided it was too crowded and time to move on to the ledges. I have been to the ledge area before looking for a ledge with a 12’ profile. Was not able to find this ledge on early trips. I figured I had enough time to check out the area a little better this time.

Along the way I noted a fishing boat. When I was approximately 0.2 miles due east, I saved a waypoint to check out on future trips.

When I was about 0.3 mile from the ledge area I noted a large ledge on the fish finder. I dropped a marker. I began to scan the area. I marked the location of 5 different soundings. This ledge is at least 200 yards long based on the soundings. Best of all there were no boats in sight.

After getting the family set up for fishing I grabbed the spear gun and went down to check out the ledge. I measured 10’ of relief of relief in one spot. The sand was at 62’ and the rocky top of the ledge was at 52’. Saw several gags that were close to legal size. Missed a couple of Mangs on this dive. At one point I had a school of about 50 AJ following me around. The largest one in the pack was probably 20” – 24”. This dive was 39 minutes with a maximum depth of 62 and an average depth of 48. I went northbound as far as I could on 1/3 of a tank. Did not find an end to the ledge.

During my SIT period I picked up a pole and caught some grunts, a trigger fish, a short gag, and 2 small red grouper.

On the 2nd dive I managed to spot a Sea Turtle. I got a little to close and it bolted. I missed a 26-30” gag. The line got hung up and I totally missed the shot. This time I went southbound as for as I could go on 1/3 of a tank. Again I did not find and end to the ledge. Spotted a Jewfish near the turn around point. On the way back I shot 2 nice hogs. I also hit 2 big mangs, but they somehow got loose before I could be my hands on them.

Sorry no PICs this time. I was too busy with the speargun.

Would you please PM those numbers to me? I'd like to see if it'd be a good place for us to do benthic monitoring next year. Thanks!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom