Trip to Ft. Lauderdale Area and Keys-Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's information on Lauderdale by the Sea: Fill Express -- The Best Shore Dive in Florida

I agree that you should take a look at Gold Coast Scuba: also note that they have a Meetup Group that sponsors both beach and boat dives: its also a good place to rent gear or get air fills.

I've been on the following boats in the Pompano/Lauderdale area and had good experiences:

Pompano Dive Center
Scubatyme
South Florida Dive Headquarters

Can't help you on the soft weights: I either bring my own soft weights or just throw the boat's hard weights into my weight integrated BC (I've never had issues with ripping on my Zeagle BC, but with my steel tank and pony bottle, I don't use much additional lead: 3-10 lbs depending on the wet suit)

I second the comments and recommendations about Lauderdale By The Sea and Gold Coast Scuba for the shore dives, real nice people and nice shore dives. For the boat dives I highly recommend the Sea Experience II, Scuba Diving - Snorkeling - Fort Lauderdale | Sea Experience great comfortable boat and even nicer people running it. I can almost guarantee you will love it, they regularly do 70' wrecks that are appropriate for novice divers and are real nice for more seasoned divers as well.

Jumping in with two points....

First, you have time to send soft weights to your lodging via flat rate priority mail...for about $10 you can send a BUNCH of soft weights to yourself, the limit is 70 pounds. You can send them back to yourself for the same flat rate.

Second, Sea Experience is hands down the BEST dive op in Broward County...my only choice when I lived there and my only choice when I visit.

Oh yah, a third...for beach diving, DO check out Gold Coast Scuba's meetup group and dive with them. They beach dive every day, sometimes multiple times a day.

Have a GREAT visit.

Every dive boat will provide weights. Period.

Also, there's so many dive shops in South Florida, you can't drive more than 2 miles without finding at least one if not two shops.

Who is really the best? There's so many, and everyone will recommend their favorite. Diving from a boat depends on whether or not you want crowds of people, or more personalized attention from a 6 pack boat. :wink:

No matter where you go, you'll be treated to world class wrecks and reefs, and plenty of it.

In my personal opinion, I prefer the wrecks north of Fort Lauderdale, as there are some deeper ones. So for me, I'd rather dive from a dive operation that leaves out of Hillsboro Inlet as opposed to the Port Everglades inlet (and I can see many of the dive ops from my apartment, so it's close).

#1 Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. My husband just did a two-hour dive on the first reef, just south of Anglin Pier. 15 feet depth, some days 40 feet viz, some days 10 or so until you get to the reef. We have kayaked to second reef, at 30 feet depth. Third reef is 60 feet or so depth, more of a boat dive site. Very family-oriented town, lots of mom-and-pop hotels (Eastward Strand Hotel & Suites), nice beach walks and town walks. We don't do nightlife or restaurants, but it's there. Morning dives are better viz and less current. We usually spend July at LBTS. Independence Day fireworks on the beach are fun. Seven or eight entrances from Pine Ave to Palm Ave, bring quarters for the parking or use the computerized meter, no night parking. One more reason to rent a block from the beach, for 24/7 enjoyment.
#2 Blue Heron Bridge. When the surf is rough or the viz low, go north an hour on I-95 to Riviera Beach. Phil Foster Park is off Blue Heron Bridge Ave, at Singer Island. We dove the West Bridge (smaller bridge) during high tide this month. East and West are both good. Know your high tides and stay out of the current until slack tide or you can be swept under the bridge. Fishermen and boats are concerns, especially the shallow boat channel on East Bridge. The area away from the bridges is 15 to 20 feet deep, clear, some boat traffic. Force E a few blocks from Phil Foster Park is a good source, and does two night dives a month. The park, which has a nice playground, restrooms, picnic areas, and security, is open 8 am to sundown. No night diving, except with permits. Weekends are packed, the parking places go fast. We kayaked at John D. MacArthur Park, on the north end of Singer Island. The same road goes to it. Nice old-style Florida fauna and flora, too shallow for diving.
#3 Peanut Island. We take our kayak to Phil Foster Park and paddle over to Peanut Island until high tide. Nice snorkeling, sandy beaches, the JFK bunker (we have not toured it, yet). Lots of sailboats, power boats, kayakers, and a regular shuttle boat that brings visitors. Camping is available, but we haven't found out yet where to park our vehicle overnight. Another thing on our bucket list.
While we are at it, we use Fill Express on Dixie Highway. The website includes a map of the snorkel trail south of Anglin Pier in LBTS, just before getting to the first reef. They also have info about area wrecks and reefs for those who do boat dives.
Enjoy your stay!
Also, we bring our soft weights, but you might check around. We usually drive by Divers Direct, near the Bass Pro Shop and the fishing museum. I think I saw soft weights there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom