Truk and an aborted Trip - Thanks United

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm very sorry to hear about your misfortune and ruined vacation. I can't imagine the frustration.

I flew through Guam to Truk on June 7 with no problems. I left again on the 15th with no problems. I had no idea that my entire vacation depended on a small weather window. I fly domestically in the US quite often, so I have my share of travel delay and "we're not responsible" stories to share, but the penalty for this is usually an extra night away from home or a loss of sleep.

Tried to fly to Truk on 10/06/2015 but the flight did not land due to bad local weather and shortage of fule to do a second approach (why no spare fuel given a long ocean voyage).

Either you've got your dates wrong or I really need to switch to decaf.

"10/06/2015" is similar to the day/month/year format of "10 June 2015" that some European & Asian countries use.

Again what a most rare but unfortunate inconvenience this flight diversion turned out to be. In nearly nine years of trouble-free travel to Chuuk FSM, never realized the consequences & vulnerabilities of being stranded on Pohnpei after a botched landing attempt at Weno (Chuuk) Int'l Airport.

Or recognize the way the majority of the world conveys dates.

---------- Post added June 23rd, 2015 at 09:04 PM ----------

Again what a most rare but unfortunate inconvenience this flight diversion turned out to be. In nearly nine years of trouble-free travel to Chuuk FSM, never realized the consequences & vulnerabilities of being stranded on Pohnpei after a botched landing attempt at Weno (Chuuk) Int'l Airport.

I almost got stranded in Truk last time. Our inbound aircraft was delayed by about 90 minutes. No big deal, right?Everyone was told that they should remain in the airport because the flight crew's cutoff time for mandatory rest was going to be within minutes of our new departure time. Essentially, we were told that if we didn't board the plane in record time... our new departure time was going to be the next afternoon.

I heard several of the UA folks muttering and laughing, so I asked what the deal was. It seems that when a flight is delayed by more than a few minutes... the locals all go home and don't come back until they see/hear the inbound plane land or one of their friends/relatives who work at the airport call them and tell them just the flight is boarding. So as we're frantically boarding at the appointed time United starts to page overhead "Will the following passengers please proceed to the boarding area immediately. Passenger Stinnet, Passenger Inchin, Passenger Braieil, Passenger Gideon... etc." I counted 48 names they paged of people that checked in for the flight and then left the airport.

I swear the main door was still open as we started rolling down the runway...

Last edited:
"10/06/2015" is similar to the day/month/year format of "10 June 2015" that some European & Asian countries use.

Yes the date was 10 June, sorry (you need to switch to Scotch so it then makes much more sense).

I guess my bigger concerns are;

insufficient fuel carried to allow only one approach, followed by an emergency ascent to 32,000 feet.
A rush by the airline to absolve themselves of any requirement to pay for emergency accommodation, even before everyone had realised the situation we were in (so much for caring and looking after passengers. Yes they are not financially libel, but how about letting people know the situation and what they need to do before, diversifying themselves of any liability).
On the return flight home it bucketed down all night, and we were concerned that we would be stuck at Truk,however it cleared at about 10 am and our flight was at 4 pm.

Wow, you were worried you'd have stuck in Truk?!

Make up your mind dude!

:wink:

Living on Kwajalein which is on the United Island Hopper route between Honolulu and Guam here here stories all of the time of United's very poor customer service and lack of respect for the customers. It wasn't so bad when there was a second airlines giving them competition, but now that they are the lone provider their service has deteriorated to despicable levels. With the bulk of customers flying between Hono and Kwaj the service is pretty good. But once you fly from Kosarae to Guam it is a gamble for good service. We had a group from Kwaj fly to Chuuk and on the return trip was left stranded in the airport sleeping on tables...an open air terminal so full of bugs.

I too use to love flying United...not so much anymore.

Wow, you were worried you'd have stuck in Truk?!

Make up your mind dude!

:wink:

I would've been the slowest boarder......and then my boss would've gotten a phone call: "I'm SOO sorry....the plane has been delayed an entire WEEK!! These tiny islands out here are CRAZY!! I guess I need to get more dives in :("

.....and then I'd giggle all the way back to the shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom