TSandM -- Her Greatest Posts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a great story!
I would guess her favorite drink is a Margarita. Mexico, Philippines and whatever local watering hole, she seemed to order that the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife Katy and I just returned from 5 days of diving, and I was reminded once again of Lynne and her attention to good pre-dive procedures.

On many days we shared the dive boat with new people, and invariably they screwed up in one way or another. One very muscular fellow, who had about a dozen dives under his belt, assured us that he "liked to go deep", and then did his backflip into the water leaving his weight belt in the boat. Katy and I hovered near the sand at 50 feet and watched him thrashing about near the surface, trying to get down, with our DM helping him. After waiting for 9 minutes we took off on our own. On another day one of the new divers and our DM both left their weights at the shop, and though they tried to distribute what lead they had, they had pretty bad dives and ended them early, and I was glad I had taken my SMB with me.

After those experiences, Katy and I began making very noisy pre-dive checks as we geared up, uttering "Bruce Willis Ruins All Films" and other witticisms to drive home the point to the others on the boat.

In a very real sense, on the boats and during the dives, Lynne is always our dive buddy, helping us to remember not to screw up.

I think she'd like that.:wink:

"You teach best what you need most to learn. . ." --Richard Bach
The less you work at something, sometimes the better it goes. Diving got better for me when I could relax and trust that I could do it.

Knowledge enriches everything. The more I learned, whether it was about decompression theory, marine life, or photography, the more fascinating my diving became.

One of the best gifts you can give yourself is to pass along what you have learned. Whether it has been writing posts on ScubaBoard or working with students or novice divers in the water, my own diving has been richer for helping others.
Thanks Lynne for your experience & passion; and for sharing, inspiring & helping us to learn. . .

The last post was late Oct. I can't quote anything from Lynn's posts, but I'd like to see this thread continued. We never met, but Lynn and I got certified at about the same time and age.
There remains a big hole in SB without her posts.

Lynn responded to one of my posted threads years ago. I asked (circa 2008) "Don't you find that you just run out of topics to discuss after a while on SB?" She replied no-- you can always add something over the years- or something like that. Kept me interested, and interested enough to go for DM in 2009. Keep the posts coming.

Last edited:
The last post was late Oct. I can't quote anything from Lynn's posts, but I'd like to see this thread continued. We never met, but Lynn and I got certified at about the same time and age.
There remains a big hole in SB without her posts.

Lynn responded to one of my posted threads years ago. I asked (circa 2008) "Don't you find that you just run out of topics to discuss after a while on SB?" She replied no-- you can always add something over the years- or something like that. Kept me interested, and interested enough to go for DM in 2009. Keep the posts coming.
I can't recall if she ever responded to one of my posts, although I think I've commented on stuff she opined about. I know I enjoyed reading her thoughts on diving, and I'd have certainly looked her up had I had the opportunity to dive in her neck of the woods. I agree, SB does have a very large hole to fill.

Somebody's just bumped this one from 2011:

A quotation from the article on the DSIRC site:

I think this neatly sums it up. It would be my guess that many of us who travel have sucked the last bit of air out of a wing in order to pack it. Competent immune systems cope with inhaled pathogens well in the vast majority of cases. (Think about any dust storm you've ever been in.) In rare cases, either the pathogen load is too high or the individual has a susceptibility, and someone ends up ill. Not everyone in California dust gets coccidioidomycosis, but a few people do!

In the last possible extremity, I would breathe anything I could find (the proverbial donkey's fart). But the logistics of breathing one's BC are difficult, as already detailed, and for recreational divers, a CESA is a better option. Better yet is avoiding the OOA/OOB/OOL scenario!

As a newcomer to the sport and the board, I'd like to express my appreciation to the OP and participants of this thread. After reading through the posts, Lynne's contributions are indeed worthy of preservation. And as if that wasn't enough, the reverence shown here also speaks volumes. I'm saddened for never having the opportunity to meet her.

Would it be appropriate to ask about the circumstances of her departure from us? Was is diving related?

Back
Top Bottom