Tubbataha - Worth It? + Other Advice For The Phillipines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adventureswithwill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know this is a very subjective question but I'm heading to Philippines in early April and will likely spend 3 months or so there traveling, working & most importantly diving. In doing some basic research I came across Tubbataha liveaboard trips. It seems in recent years prices have gone up quite a bit and I'm wondering if it's still good value for money, or if I'd be better off just doing more land based diving.

A bit about me, I have ~300 dives with my DM + deep and I like a mixture of macro and the bigger stuff as well (or at least the chance of bigger stuff on occasion). I usually stay at cheaper accommodation places (e.g hotels/dorms etc or cheap guesthouses) and eat cheaper local food as well to give myself some more money for diving.

My current plan is to hit up Malapascua, Dauin, Coron, Anilao (probably, need to look into more) and maybe also Sogood bay (need to research further).

Going to Tubbataha would likely kill my budget quite badly, but I could make it work. Is it worth the expense or would I be better off doing more dives at the places listed above/going elsewhere?

G'day. Tubbatahta is a really great place to dive and I would recommend it, yes it is expensive but I would say its top of the Philippine bucket list. Stick it on the credit card, it will be worth it :) I have been there twice and will go again in April this year. For sharks and big schools of fish it really is the best in the Philippines.
If you are looking for a cheaper option then Apo reef is the next best thing. My resort arranges 4 night safari trips from Puerto Galera. It is a cheaper option but still has good shark action and big schools of fish. If you like I can PM you some more details.
Warm regards
Kris

We did Tubbataha last year (on the Atlantis Azores) and loved it. I would go back. There were folks on the boat that had been there the year before and were planning to come back again the following year.

As far as if it's worth trashing the budget for the rest of your trip, that's hard to say for someone else. It appears there are a fair number of liveaboards that go out there at some point - the ranger station had many listed on a whiteboard where they keep track. I assume some are more budget than others.

Last edited:
Looks like I might just have to pony up the money and go. A couple of other questions for those that want to chime in:

1. Is it ever possible to get last minute rates on unfilled boats/cancellations? I know this was possible when I went to Galapagos, but Tubbatha seems to sell out more often. I'm pretty time flexible as long as I have access to my laptop, so could spend some time waiting if it meant a discount.
2. Any recommendations on which liveaboard to go with? If I can find space on a crossing trip, is it worth it?
3. Any other locations you think I'm missing from my Philippines trip? Preferably not too expensive, as Tubbatha will be my Christmas/Birthday present to myself this year (and maybe no Komodo).

Looks like I might just have to pony up the money and go. A couple of other questions for those that want to chime in:

1. Is it ever possible to get last minute rates on unfilled boats/cancellations? I know this was possible when I went to Galapagos, but Tubbatha seems to sell out more often. I'm pretty time flexible as long as I have access to my laptop, so could spend some time waiting if it meant a discount.
2. Any recommendations on which liveaboard to go with? If I can find space on a crossing trip, is it worth it?
3. Any other locations you think I'm missing from my Philippines trip? Preferably not too expensive, as Tubbatha will be my Christmas/Birthday present to myself this year (and maybe no Komodo).[/QUOTE

You can get some last minute deals for the charters but it can be a bit risky and would need to be in Puerto Princessa to be ready to go if a last minute deal came up. If you take a chance you might get luck and make a saving. If you are going to do it I would just book a trip and save yourself the stress. The Discovery Palawan is a good boat that has been refurbished, its around US$ 2,800 for 6 nights with all meals and 4 dives a day. That is around middle ground. There are some more budget boats around of course for around US$ 1,500.

As for missing out dive locations then Puerto Galera is worth a visit, just a few hours from Manila and has the best all around diving in the Philippines if you ask me.

Hey, I noticed you mentioned Dauin in your first post. I just got back from 10 day in Dauin and the diving was fabulous. We stayed at Liquid Dumaguete Dive Resort. I would recommend it highly to anyone. Not very expensive, wonderfully run and great people. Owner Zoe and Tim are wonderful people, that after years working in the industry as dive masters/instructor all over the world built this resort from the ground up for diver. We took two trips to Apo Island which is the healthiest coral I have seen anywhere since diving Australia in the 70's.

I am going back to Philippines next year, possibly Anilao area so if someone has recently visited there I would love to here about it.

Tom B.

Southern Leyte(Sogod Bay) is highly recommended.
And if you are in Anilao then you should nip across the channel to Puerto Galera.

Hi there

I'm in Anilao right now and would say that it is even better than Dumaguete for nudis, but overall I would probably rate Dauin very slightly better , because of its proximity to Apo and because LD is so awesome.

However if you have to use Manila as a gateway I would highly recommend Anilao.

I also visited Southern Leyte which is probably even better than anywhere else.I have been to in the Philippines.

Best fishes

Hey, I noticed you mentioned Dauin in your first post. I just got back from 10 day in Dauin and the diving was fabulous. We stayed at Liquid Dumaguete Dive Resort. I would recommend it highly to anyone. Not very expensive, wonderfully run and great people. Owner Zoe and Tim are wonderful people, that after years working in the industry as dive masters/instructor all over the world built this resort from the ground up for diver. We took two trips to Apo Island which is the healthiest coral I have seen anywhere since diving Australia in the 70's.

I am going back to Philippines next year, possibly Anilao area so if someone has recently visited there I would love to here about it.

Tom B.
T is

I have been diving in Dauin too - and loved it. While you were there, do dive in Apo Island, plenty of turtles and beautiful reefs. Malapascua is a beautiful island, we went there only for thresher sharks, though, and it was just for two days diving then the rest of the diving days (from five diving days), we spent diving on their reefs. The night dives in Malapascua were nice, plenty of seahorses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom