TV show - lighter and hyperbaric chamber explosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on a project with Brower off the Carolinas looking for a wreck. We had a target but needed to move a lot of sand to identify it so we lit off 55 gallon drums of one of their liquid formulations. It looked like one of those WWII drum depth charges going off from about a mile away.
Nice! We did some wellhead completion removals using the 3 part liquid. After the casing were plugged, we sent a cylindrical metal container full of the Brower liquid mix with caps on both ends set to initiate the liquid and cause a flat jet in the middle. This cut everything and the casing off pretty cleanly below the seabed. Then we just pulled up the equipment. That was the only explosives job I ever worked on. Today I had an exciting day of propeller polishing, but now they look like gold.

I feel like this is a thing we could test pretty easily. Some acrylic tube, sealed on one end, some cotton to simulate bedding / clothing, 2-3 atmospheres of oxygen, and an ignition source.

All this is resumed in the fire triangle.
The fire triangle has 3 elements :
- Fuel
- Oxidizer
- Heat
The bigger of one of the components, the bigger the fire.
The same applies for extinguishers. Removing one of the components will extinguish the fire.
Fire_triangle.png

Ok, in The US we are regulated by the standards of NFPA (National Fire Prevention Association) to prevent fires and explosions in our Hyperbaric chambers used for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) for people. They do explode , here is a link to a you tube video about an Equine Hyperbaric Chamber that blew up in Florida in February 2012. The last time there was an explosion of a Hyperbaric chamber with a person in it was in Japan in the 80's. As the person above has showed the triangle of fire, increase of any of those factors will make a pretty big fire. Heat , Oxygen, Fuel ... think of Apollo 1 disaster. I can't seem to find any information on the Japanese explosion on the internet but I have seen the documentation and pictures of the event when I was being trained to become an HBOT Technician. The Japan chamber explosion blew the front cap and the back cap of a Monoplace acrylic chamber. The front one blew thru a wall and killed a person in the process. The back cap blew though the wall of the building and landed in the parking lot.

Ok, in The US we are regulated by the standards of NFPA (National Fire Prevention Association) to prevent fires and explosions in our Hyperbaric chambers used for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) for people. They do explode , here is a link to a you tube video about an Equine Hyperbaric Chamber that blew up in Florida in February 2012. The last time there was an explosion of a Hyperbaric chamber with a person in it was in Japan in the 80's. As the person above has showed the triangle of fire, increase of any of those factors will make a pretty big fire. Heat , Oxygen, Fuel ... think of Apollo 1 disaster. I can't seem to find any information on the Japanese explosion on the internet but I have seen the documentation and pictures of the event when I was being trained to become an HBOT Technician. The Japan chamber explosion blew the front cap and the back cap of a Monoplace acrylic chamber. The front one blew thru a wall and killed a person in the process. The back cap blew though the wall of the building and landed in the parking lot.

Right but you have to have all three. And enough of each if you don't have enough fuel no boom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom