TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - Aug 30 - Sept. 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Avalon, Baby Shark, Coelacanths, and more
(please scroll down for details)

Such an exciting week. I got my car washed. Now if I can only get my hair cut . . .

LOVELY DAY IN AVALON LAST TUESDAY - We made our first post-COVID trek to Avalon to dive the Underwater Park last week, but went mid-week rather than on the weekend. Overall, it worked out well. The express runs at 60% capacity and while you can't maintain strict 6-foot social distance at all times, you can get some personal space. Catalina Divers Supply was well-organized, especially since we'd made a reservation, and the place wasn't too crowded, with maybe 30 divers or so. During the three dives we made (water temp mid-60s, viz 30-50 feet) we enjoyed being surrounded by a huge school of Jack Mackerel and basked in the company of two large Giant Sea Bass, with the added bonus of a Sea Lion making a guest appearance. You can check out short videos of each with these links: JACK MACKEREL IN AVALON and GIANT SEA BASS ENCOUNTER. Our next scheduled trip back is Sunday, September 20, but we may shift that to a mid-week visit as well. We shall see.

COVID TRAVEL NEWS - The Caymans have pushed back their re-opening another month, and Indonesia has announced they won't re-open to foreign tourism in 2020, which kills our plans to return to Murex in October.

A MODICUM OF GOOD COVID TRAVEL NEWS - Although it seems counter-intuitive, an article on CNN Travel says that the chance of getting infected during a flight seem to be very low. There are very few documented cases of in-flight transmission, likely due both to reduced travel demand and fewer people flying but also due to airlines getting very strict about wearing masks at all times during a flight. You can read more about it here: ODDS OF GETTING COVID ON A PLANE.

GET YOUR VERY OWN (FAKE) BABY SHARK - I saw this video on FaceBook and laughed my pectorals off: BABY SHARK VIDEO. So at the risk of sounding like a shill, I did some research and found the thing on-line for $20. It even gets five 5-star reviews. Might make a cute birthday or other-special-occasion present: GET YOUR OWN BABY SHARK.

COELACANTHS IN THE NEWS - Those of you who have been with me to Indonesia know that I have an obsession with Coelacanths (pronounced SEEL-uh-canth), once thought to be extinct, as there's a spot near Murex where one was first spotted in 1998 and has been seen at various times since then. When we dive a spot at Manado Tua, I always tell people to look down deep just in case. (Coelacanths generally live around 400-feet deep which certainly exacerbates the chances of finding one, let alone on a recreational dive.) But Richard Pyle led an expedition to find one and my good buddy Mike Veitch had Pyle as a guest of his Underwater Tribe YouTube show and you can hear all about the adventure as well as see a living Coelacanth. As a side benefit, Pyle was with a National Geographic video team and was wired for sound. Because they're diving on a helium mixture, his narration sounds like it would when you inhale a helium-filled balloon. You can see the short video (which premiered on Sunday) at this link: COELACANTH EXPERIENCE.

HAS IT BEEN A YEAR? - It's hard to believe, but the one-year anniversary of the fire on the Conception will be this Wednesday. I'm told the L.A. Times may be doing a "One Year Later" article for the Wednesday paper.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week, stay safe, wear your mask, wash your hands, and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken

Back when I was an undergrad, I was walking through the basement at Harvard's Museum of Comparative Zoology and came across a large museum jar with a preserved coelacanth in it

Back when I was an undergrad, I was walking through the basement at Harvard's Museum of Comparative Zoology and came across a large museum jar with a preserved coelacanth in it
I think there's one at the Natural History Museum in Exposition Park as well. (At least, there used to be.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom