TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - July 31- August 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Want to travel??? Upcoming 2016-2017 vacation trips:

• August 1-6 - Isla Guadalupe & Great White Sharks [ SOLD OUT - LEAVING MONDAY ]
• August 13-20 (WEEK 1) - Isla Mujeres & Whale Sharks, cenotes, and statues [
SOLD OUT!!! ]
• August 20-27 (WEEK 2) - Isla Mujeres & Whale Sharks, cenotes, and statues [ SOLD OUT!!! ]
• November 3-16 - Maldives on the Manthiri
[ ONLY 1 SPOT LEFT ]
• 2017 - July 7-19 - Yap Immersion #1 (special 13-day trip featuring all that Yap has to offer)
[ LIMITED TO 12 DIVERS - 5 SPOTS LEFT ]
• 2017 - July 21-August 2 - Yap Immersion #2 (week #2 - same sked as above)
[ LIMITED TO 12 DIVERS - 9 SPOTS LEFT ]

GET MORE INFO ON ALL OF OUR VACATION TRIPS HERE: www.reefseekers.com/foreign_trips.html
————————————————————————————————————————————
I just posted the August newsletter so I'll keep this brief so as not to wear out my welcome . . .

SHARKNADO 4 - I'm sure it will be as . . . awesome . . . as the other three. (Well, they really did lose it on #3.) Anyhow, if you're looking for campy fun, Sharknado 4 premieres tonight on the SyFy Channel and I'm sure it will repeat ad nauseam for the next week or two if you miss it tonight.

POWER STRIP ADDENDUM - I extolled the virtue of power strips last week and Tabby Stone sent me a note to add a very good point, Especially when you're traveling overseas where you're dealing with 220V, make sure you check all of your changers and power strips to make sure they can handle the higher voltage and won't fry or melt. The rotating multi-outlet one I touted last week mainly comes as 120V but there are some versions that go up to 240V. Make sure you have the correct one. This applies to laptops and other electronics too. You may notice when running higher voltages, that the strips and chargers get warm to the touch. That's generally OK but it's also good reason to unplug them as soon as the charge is complete.

MORE SHARKS - We head down to San Diego Monday afternoon and then on to Ensenada for our Great White Shark trip but we thought we'd treat you to more sharks as well, this time of the Basking variety. It seems these large plankton-eaters regularly gather off the coast of Scotland and there's a business that takes people out to see them. More to the point, they also shoot video including drone footage which is what you'll find in this link. Pretty cool:
Watch These Basking Sharks Feed From The Safe Distance Of A Drone.

AND EVEN MORE SHARKS - Guillaume Chanfreau forwarded this article about how Great Hammerheads swim on their sides because it makes them more streamlined and energy-efficient. I know I've seen hammerheads do this in both the Galapagos and Cocos, but I always associated it with cleaning behavior rather than swimming efficiency. It might get a little technical but it's an overall interesting read: Great hammerhead sharks swim on their side to reduce transport costs : Nature Communications : Nature Research .

And I think that'll do it for now. Have a great week and be sure to check out both our Facebook page (Reef Seekers Dive Co. | Facebook) and my SmugMug page (kenkurtis) for real-time photos while we're in Guadalupe. We should have an Internet connection, albeit slow, but I'll try to post some pix and short blurbs when I can. We should have Internet from Tuesday evening through Friday later afternoon. Our dive days are Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.

- Ken

Back
Top Bottom