TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - March 17-24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Whales, Chamber Day, Oil Spill, & more
(please scroll down for details)

Happy St. Patrick's Day and a busy week coming up . . .

LET THE WHALE HUGGING BEGIN - Monday morning we leave for Cabo San Lucas, will overnight there, and then head up to San Ignacio Lagoon, where a bevy of Gray Whales are hopefully waiting for us to arrive. We did the trip last year in February and are hoping for better conditions (specifically less wind) than we had in 2023. But it's really an amazing trip because, even though you're not allowed to be in the water with the whales, it's the whales who initiate the contact with the boats. They actually seem to choose to come up and interact. In fact last year, on our last dive, we watched as a whale went from boat 1 to boat 2 to boat 3 (which was ours) and spent a little time at each one. So fingers crossed. But as you can see, they come right up and tolerate interaction:​
mail
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE - This will either be really cool or, for some of you, your worst nightmare come true since it involves me effectively having my own broadcast channel. We're doing this trip through Baja Expeditions, which is now owned by Nautilus Dive Adventures. We've had long-standing relationships with both. Nautilus/Baja sets the camp up all tricked out with all the comforts of home, including Wi-Fi. So I'm hopeful to be able to post some photos every now and then. Check out our FaceBook page for that. But it gets even better. They've gotten a special satellite uplink that allows them to webcast live from not only the camp, but also from the pangas while out on the water looking for whales. This should be on their YouTube channel as well as my FB page. Because they've asked me if I'd be interested in doing some of these live webcasts. Of course, I said YES!!!! I'm unclear at this point as to how it's all going to work or even if it's going to work at all. So again, check the FB page for an update. But the hope is that each morning and afternoon that we're there, you can see what we're seeing (or not seeing) and enjoy it vicariously with us. The best days will likely be Wednesday and Thursday as those are full days of whale hugging, with three 90-minute forays into the protected areas over the course of each day. So fingers crossed as it sounds like fun. And regardless of how well this works (or doesn't), there will be pix and a trip report done after we get back Friday evening.

OTHER REEF SEEKERS TRIPS THIS YEAR - We're basically going every odd-numbered month. After this, we've got Roatan May 18-25 (they've had some rooms open up if you're interested), Indonesia (Murex Manado) July 8-19 (sold out), Yap September 9-22 (I'm going to start talking about that more because it's one of my favorite places to go), and then we wrap up the year on the Palau Aggressor II November 1-11 (still three spots left on that). Great diving to be had on all of these trips if you've got the inclination.

CHAMBER DAY KEEPS CHUGGING ALONG - Our evening table is sold out but there's plenty of room at our Reef Seekers virtual table. And we can always use your contribution to the Chamber Challenge. Also remember that if/when you sign up for the Flying Dutchman, be sure to put "Reef Seekers" down as your affiliation. We're usually #1 in terms of shanghaied divers for that boat and I'm hoping that will be the case this year too. Go to https://usc.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_88ko1OUej3lAYbI to get registered.

TOBAGO/BONAIRE OIL SPILL UPDATE - We told you a few weeks ago about a barge that capsized in Tobago and was leaking oil that made it all the way to Bonaire. The good news is that they've gotten the oil to stop leaking in Tobago. And it seems like they've been able to contain the damage in Bonaire to a fairly small area and have been able to clean up most of the oil. The oil came ashore on the northeastern side of the island and the dive sites are primarily on the protected western side, so it doesn't appear that the major dives sites were affected. (Not sure about the eastern "Wild Side" dive spots.) But it seems overall like this could have been a lot worse and Bonaire dodged a major catastrophe.

MORE NEW SPECIES - Last week, we told you about a new fish species discovered in Socorro. This week, we're going to tell you about 100 new species found off of New Zealand during some deep-water expeditions. It all just goes to show that the ocean is vast, there's still plenty to be discovered, and you don't know if you don't go look: NEW SPECIES DISCOVERED IN NEW ZEALAND.

SPRING WILL BE SPRUNG - It officially starts this Tuesday, March 19 (the same day the swallows return to Capistrano and the buzzards return to Hinckley, Ohio) at 8:06PM PDT. Don't party too hard.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week, please support our Chamber, and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom