Two and a half days is not enough!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice reports. Welcome to cave diving.

I word of caution. The 'Hall Monitor' crack is a little too much. I know you have issue with being allowed to dive doubles, but please don't take it out on someone that's doing his job. He's a very nice guy when you get to know him. You'll see it from another perspective after you get full cave...

Nope, but probably will be by the time they get back. Based on my dives this past weekend, I should sell all my gear though!

Hmmm... in another post about drop weights, you're talking about doing 2-hour long 'exploration' dives with support divers. Wow... that's quite a progression.
eek.gif

Hmmm... in another post about drop weights, you're talking about doing 2-hour long 'exploration' dives with support divers. Wow... that's quite a progression.
eek.gif

You may want to re-read my post. Nowhere did I mention exploration diving. The dive will be 2/3 open water, max cave penetration will be about 600ft. It's just going to be a long dive for me.

Now I just want to know if anybody has an estimate for how long it will take before I have skin on my fingers again . . .

LOL... I know what you mean... think it's a ratio of minutes of diving x an hour or at least it felt like that... scrapes, general missing skin or the death by 1000 paper cuts stuff? LOL

I'll have some fun reading your dive reports on the journal. :popcorn:

Glad you had fun! :D

Nice reports. Welcome to cave diving.

I word of caution. The 'Hall Monitor' crack is a little too much. I know you have issue with being allowed to dive doubles, but please don't take it out on someone that's doing his job. He's a very nice guy when you get to know him. You'll see it from another perspective after you get full cave...

Yeah, Eric is a good guy. He has a tough job, and does it well and somewhat diplomatically. He has seen too many body recoveries to not take his job seriously.
I for one am glad he's there.

I am glad you had fun at ginnie, and the skin on the fingertips eventually comes back :wink:.

Next time you come down, you've gotta hit Peacock and Madison Blue. The danger being that you become so hooked, that you end up moving down. Everybody eventually does.:eyebrow:

Resistance is futile, the caves are-a-calling...

Cheers :D

I'm sorry, the "hall monitor" term wasn't meant to be pejorative. I was just trying to describe the function of somebody who's checking passes and making sure everybody is doing what they ought, and it reminded me of the hall monitors in school. No offense meant at all.

Glad to hear you had a good time, it was great meeting you guys too. Going into Ginnie you experienced what is probably my favorite section of cave, The Gallery, it's just too cool.

See ya in February!

Do the links I posted not work if you click on them? Or are you typing in the name of the site? Because you have it misspelled -- It's "matrix", not "matirix".

Ballroom dive report

On Saturday, December 1, 2007 at 2:45 p.m. I checked in at Ginnie springs, Florida. I was wearing an Aqua-man t-shirt and the man at the register got a kick out of it. After paying the ridiculous fee of $30 for a big orange arm band and a dive tag for my car I entered the park.

I arrived at the site and there were about 7 open-water divers in training inside the spring. The air temperature was about 78 degrees. The water looked nice and blue: just how i like it.

I set up my Lp 85's on the table and started messing with SCUBA gear. The Ginnie man that roams the spring came up and commented on how nice a day it was. Since it was almost 80 degrees in December, I felt ready to jump into the cool fresh water.

Today we would enjoy the Ginnie head-spring and a cavern: The ballroom. Both the spring and the cavern seemed in good condition and almost sparkled in the sun. The parking lot was virtually empty except for a few cars. It was nice to have an empty spring and cavern just waiting for us to dive it. We prepared and talked about the dive plan. We made up an extremely interesting 5 person team of various skill levels. TSM as leader, Perrone following, then Pete, Les, and I.

The diving was excellent. The water felt great at 72 degrees (though it might have been even warmer). We brought 10 tanks and 15(!) lights. The two cavern entrances started at 15' deep. At the bottom, the cavern was over 50' deep. TSM tied off my reel to a medium sized boulder. After the team swam into the system, Les and I stayed back a bit and checked the line as well as the tie off of the reel to the mainline. Everything looked good and at 33' deep we prepared to enter the ballroom.

Immediately the corridor dropped off from 33' deep to over 50' deep. The temperature also dropped off to about 71 degrees. The corridor entered into the middle of the ballroom and the roof suddenly began to rise over 10' above us. We had a very nice time in this huge room. We communicated at this threshold and proceeded to drop down.

The flow was intense but I kicked against it and grabbed onto the metal grate that blocks off the cave system in the Ginnie headspring. It was alot of fun to be tumbled around by the cool and fast flowing water. After half an hour we came up and out into the now moonlit spring.

Then we did it all again.

*Special shout out to my favorite dive snack, Goldfish crackers. Thanks to all people involved and to Ginnie spring for providing hot showers. Thanks to Floyd's diner and diveshops in the high springs area.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom