Two German divers drown at Gran Cenote Kalimba at Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sad news.. prayers going out to the families and the recovery divers

Is this Cenote Grande or that entrance where those 2 died in 2004 (Cenote Calimba)?

aren't most cenote dives led by dive masters? I am new and curious. It seems dangerous to let tourists in to just go exploring if there are mazes. How to the guidelines work? I wanted to dive the cenotes near Cancun but not at a high risk like this.

No. Hopefully, all cenote dives by non-cave divers are led by a guide, but there are a lot of cave divers who go to Mexico and dive with their buddies. I know a lot of people recommend cave divers should at least hire a guide the first time they go to Mexico, but I didn’t, and I didn’t have a kick of trouble. I’ve been to Mexico five or six times, and the only time a guide was involved was a trip I took with a shop. Even on that trip, my buddy and I did our own thing.

But for an diver who isn’t a certified cave diver, a guide/DM should be engaged. But that does not guarantee safety, there have been fairly recent fatalities where a guide was involved. Personally, I recommend a cavern class prior to cenote dives. I know that isn’t always possible but it is optimal.

aren't most cenote dives led by dive masters? I am new and curious. It seems dangerous to let tourists in to just go exploring if there are mazes. How to the guidelines work? I wanted to dive the cenotes near Cancun but not at a high risk like this.

Is this Cenote Grande or that entrance where those 2 died in 2004 (Cenote Calimba)?
The news stories are spelling it as Cenote Kalimba, but probably the same one. Google maps shows it to be 550 meters from Cenote Grande, if that is correct.

Hopefully, all cenote dives by non-cave divers are led by a guide, but there are a lot of cave divers who go to Mexico and dive with their buddies.
There doesn't seem to be any reports on their qualifications. Some news stories said they had three "oxygen" tanks each.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom