Typhoon Haiyan - Coron - Philippines Siren

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi All

Apologies for the delay in response. All of our crews and their families are fine and both Philippines yachts are undamaged after Typhoon Yolande hit last week. Our Coron Batangas trip was due to leave yesterday, but due to the need to shelter from the storm and the Busuanga airport being closed our operations team in Thailand and the Philippines have been busy making some new arrangements for the guests who have arrived and are waiting in Manila. We hope to have the guests aboard in the next few days.
Future trips may be affected due to the airport closure and lack of supplies in Coron. dmason - Our team will be emailing you directly with any info we have and if there are changes to your trip in December.

We are also in the process of checking if our 2nd Philippines yacht is able to get clearance to travel to Leyte to assist in the relief efforts - which are being hampered by road blockages. As yet we do not know the extent of the devastation in Sogod Bay, Leyte and the effect that may have on our scheduled trips of 2014.

We'd like to ask all of our guests to show their support for the Philippines and if you are able to bring items of clothing with you when you travel to the Philippines to give to the relief that would be wonderful. Please also consider donating to the Red Cross relief.

We will post more updates and information as we have them,
Best wishes from all at the Siren Fleet
Thank You & DevonDiver for the updates. Our hearts go out to all the victims of this tragic typhoon.

Quick Update:-

Our Philippine Siren Coron/Batangas trips are all still going ahead however they will run Batangas -Batangas for the next few trips until the situation with the Busuanga airport becomes clear - we have heard "destroyed" and "closed" but as yet it is not clear which that is. The crew hope to take our divers to Apo Reef but this is still weather dependent but for now diving at the Coron wrecks has been suspended.

Southern Leyte & Sogod Bay have survived unscathed from Haiyan so all Siren Fleet trips to the region in 2014 will go ahead as planned.

Southern Visayas - Most of Cebu (excepting Malapascua), Negros (Dauin/Dumaguete) Apo Island & Bohol are "business as usual" with little being felt there during the storm except wind and rain.

Donsol /Ticao - minor damage to some dive centres and resorts but the area was not in the main path of the typhoon - centres there are "open for business"

Our yacht P. Siren will shortly leave Cebu for Malapascua with food & water supplies for those affected on the island. After which we hope to transport doctors & medical supplies from the MSF over to Leyte to assist people who have been affected in the central & northern part of the island, before we begin our dive trips in late December.

More as we have it - but please do support the Philippines!!
Now is the time they need your tourist $$$ to rebuild and assist with infrastructure so if you are considering visiting there are many islands still fully functioning.

Thanks and all the best from the Siren Fleet

I too agree with Jake, We dove the Philippines in MAR 2010 spending 12 days out there in Cebu and Moalboal.....wonderfully friendly people with huge hearts. I wish a speedy recovery to all my friends over their and pray they have survived with minimal loss

It seems the media is selectively reporting. Coron is NOT destroyed.

The airport resumed flights on the 11th. I was in Manila, and supposed to fly back on the 9th. I was then rescheduled for the 10th, and then rescheduled for the 15th. On the 11th, I was at the Pier in Manila trying to find a boat back home because I did not want to wait till the 15th. My wife called and told me that flights were arriving, so I got on for the next day.

On approach the forest land was flattened. Walking from the plane to the "terminal," Most of the windows were blown out, the roof was blown off the souvenir/food stall building. From walking by, the tower looked fine, with the exception of a power cord being run in from the window. The terminal was fine. There was a massive pile of broken glass from all the shattered windows. The rain shelter for the vans into town was blown away. As we were heading in the van to Coron Town, they were just starting to burn the piles of tree debris at the ariport.

Coron Town itself looked fairly decent. Lots of downed trees in piles made the place look a mess. There was missing windows and you could see where roofs had damage. Most of the concrete structures weathered the storm well. My dive shop had one hole in the tin roof from a falling tree branch (about 4 inch diameter). The local style bamboo huts were much more damaged. Some lost roofs, or the sawali (woven bamboo) walls. All of my staff and their families were ok. Municipal water resumed on the 12th. Power will be out for at least a couple weeks. The Smart cell tower fell over, but the Globe cell tower is fine. The cross on Mt Tapyas did fall over as well.

Diving on the wrecks resumed on the 11th. Vis was not the best, but it has been getting better by the day. On the 12th due to the tropical storm passing to the south we were only allowed to visit the nearby Coron Island. Since then everything has been almost back to normal. I have spent the past couple of days reassuring guests and taking pictures of their hotels to send them by email.

The outer villages on Busuanga and nearby islands sustained lots of damage. They ARE in need of assistance. The military landed on the 12th to help deliver aid to outlying areas. Malampaya a local NGO has been great in providing and distributing aid. Here at Neptune, we have been concentrating our relief efforts for the community of Lajala on Uson Island. One Australian diver that was here during the storm emailed her friends back home and raised almost US$1000 in just a couple days time. We are using that to rebuild and stock the Community Health Center. Anything left over will go to repairing the school. Both in Lajala.

Coron Galeri, the islands largest island hopping company, is running normally. Its ten tourist bankas are fine. Coron Bistro lost a couple pieces of tin from the roof. Bruno the owner says, "Its just a bit of an inconvenience really. We have the generator, and everything is normal." Noname Bar has a small generator and is serving cold beer and drinks. Lolo Nonoy's, a local eatery, lost some of it tables. The patrons eating there at night get a candlelit dinner as they don't have a generator. Dive Cal lost 25% to 50% of its roof. I have heard their boat was damaged, and I have heard it was fine? Seadive lost one big boat completely and at least one more was damaged. Coron Ecolodge has 20+ rooms. Three sustained damage. Here in Coron Town, we were very fortunate. It could have been much worse.

For Coron Town, we are mostly back to normal. The lack of electricity is the worst part. If anybody would like specific information on a certain business, let me know.

Thanks divetheplanet for the update about Coron - I've already been in contact with Trevor at Divecal and he told me that the kitchen area on one of the boats has had some damage and that the top floor of the dive shop is a mess. He's hoping the compressor will be ok but not been able to try it yet.
Also heard from Jeff at Seadive - he said they have had slight damage - broken glass door and windows.
I've also been trying unsuccessfully to contact another very good friend - SB Pat Matta from Divelink, but have not heard from him or his family since the typhoon, but have heard from someone else that they are all ok & he is busy helping refugee families. over at his resort.

Thanks for the update divetheplanet - we hope to see you all in Coron very soon - for the time being we have altered our trips to soley Batangas due to the concern over lack of supplies and not wishing to be further drain on resources. Please pm if there is anything we might do to assist you.
All the best from Siren Fleet

Here's a copy of part of an e-mail I've just received from Trevor at Divecal :-

Hi!

Thanks for your best wishes. Everyone safe but Safari Boat broke in two. The storm passed directly over us. Many homeless and lost all But weather good. And Coron is working again! And our wreck, reef and lake dives restart today. Here is the email I am sending everyone who has booked with us. Look forward to seeing you!

Very best

Trevor

APO Reef Safaris – December
Our Safari boat was destroyed by the typhoon so I have to cancel all APO trips scheduled for December.
We re-start Daily dives to the Wrecks, Reefs and Lake plus all courses on Monday 18th November.
Although Coron was in the direct path of the typhoon and many homes and other buildings were destroyed already the fish, meat and veg market, Mobile networks, hotels, supplies from Manila and Puerto Princessa etc and many other things now working again. Electricity will be restored in 2 weeks. But many still homeless and have lost all possessions. More details on the Mayor’s Facebook Page at https://www.facebook.com/MayorFems. I give below the Mayor’s message.
We hope you will still come here and dive with us. Although many hotels are operational again if you have not booked we suggest you book through us and not just arrive and hope to find one as many do. That way you will be sure.
Deposits
If you have paid a deposit for your APO trip it is immediately returnable upon request.
Or You may wish to use it as a deposit for doing Daily Diving or Courses
Or You may wish to donate it to our staff so they can buy more food, clothing and the necessities of life that were destroyed. In which case it will be put in a special fund and shared fairly.
I am s sad to have to tell you this.
Very best wishes
Trevor

TOURISTS NEED NOT CANCEL CORON TRIPS - MAYOR FEMS REYES -
It's business as usual in Philippine's tourism haven - Coron, Palawan.
Tourists are arriving everyday since the resumption of flights on the typhoon-struck town.
"There's no need to cancel your vacation trip here. The hotels, restaurants, dive shops, boats, vans and travel agencies are operating and can accommodate arriving tourists. Some tour sites are now open," says Coron mayor Clara "Fems" Reyes.
The mayor met with local tourism players to assess the damage brought by typhoon Yolanda.
Tourism officer Chippy Pe says all Coron island destinations are in operation now. "Damages to some tourism establishment are now being repaired and 80% of them are ready to accommodate visitors. Supplies of food are now secured after Coron airport resumed its operations Monday and vessels from Manila will start arriving tomorrow. (Wednesday). Power is being provided by generator sets on many establishment. Some Dive shops are open for business. Boats can accommodate 400 tourists a day," says Pe.
Barracuda Lake, Kayangan Lake and pocket beaches with their docking areas are all in service. Maquinit hot spring will be available on November 20. Mount Tapyas view deck needs clearing of fallen trees along the stairs.
Information officer Lyle Coruna says foreign tourists with scheduled bookings have emailed the municipal mayor's office and they all decided not to cancel their trip to Coron and promised to bring along relief goods and toys for children.

their all ok allison…. coron is a pretty safe place for a ship in a storm… they even joined the relief operations..

Back
Top Bottom