Understanding the drysuits available on the market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the USIA techniflex is just as durable as the DUI and half the cost. DUI charges an obscene amount of money because cutting and sewing in one of the most expensive cities in the world will do that to you... They also can charge a premium for the brand name. No different than Halcyon with their plates and wings being almost double that of most other manufacturers

Good to know! I will have to check both out.

It was mentioned that the crushed neoprene suits were pretty good but nobody seems to be suggesting them. Are there any issues with the scubapro everdry 4? And does anyone know what modifications were made in the 2016 model and if they're worth the higher price? They are readily available for well under a grand so that's the route I'm considering if there is nothing wrong with them.

Crushed neoprene is supposed to be really good if you dive in highly abrasive areas. Wreck penetration, maybe really advanced sidemount caving. The are heavy and take a long time to dry.

not sure about the new ones, I haven't seen it. They are supposedly pretty good suits, but if I were in the market for a new neoprene suit, O'Three would get the nod.

Are they heavy and slow-drying compared to other wetsuits or only compared to non-neoprene drysuits? Currently I travel with an 8mm semi dry which is quite heavy. Wondering if this would be even heavier and slower to dry or similar

only compared to other drysuits. The CF200 will be lighter than your 8mm semidry, and dry in about the same amount of time. The CF200 is a 3mm suit *they make the suits before they crush it btw*, then they crush it to 1mm. They are lighter than wetsuits, but heavier than laminate bag suits that weigh basically nothing

I had absolutely no clue USIA made custom suits. I don't fit in any of the stock sizes on the size charts, and I had an interesting time last Saturday at DRIS (my LDS even though its 50 miles from me) trying to get fitted for a rental suit to use in my OW/dry suit class. One of the guys in the shop thinks a Santi XL short men's suit will fit me, but I have to wait for it to be back from being rented out.

Just took a gander over at the USIA suits on DRIS' website. Only an extra $150 for the custom cut. Yes, it doesn't come with zip seals like the DUI suits, but I can get replaceable seals for an extra $250 and neoprene socks are an additional $50. That makes a custom suit $2099 (Techniflex front zip). Pockets come with it (extra cost for DUI suits) Much easier to swallow than $3K + for a custom DUI suit. And I can still get a color! :)

I'm so glad I clicked on this thread. I'll be sure to pick the brain of Mike at DRIS.

Last edited:
I had absolutely no clue USIA made custom suits. I don't fit in any of the stock sizes on the size charts, and I had an interesting time last Saturday at DRIS (my LDS even though its 50 miles from me) trying to get fitted for a rental suit to use in my OW/dry suit class. One of the guys in the shop thinks a Santi XL short men's suit will fit me, but I have to wait for it to be back from being rented out.

Just took a gander over at the USIA suits on DRIS' website. Only an extra $150 for the custom cut. Yes, it doesn't come with zip seals like the DUI suits, but I can get replaceable seals for an extra $250 and neoprene socks are an additional $50. That makes a custom suit $2099 (Techniflex front zip). Pockets come with it (extra cost for DUI suits) Much easier to swallow than $3K + for a custom DUI suit. And I can still get a color! :)

I'm so glad I clicked on this thread. I'll be sure to pick the brain of Mike at DRIS.

You don't want Zip Seals anyway with the cost of replacement seals. They are CRAZY. Go with the Si-Tech rings from DRIS and they are awesome and cheap to replace. Latex seals are $25 a pair $50 for a pair of silicone (wrists) Zip Seals are like $148 for a pair of wrists!!!!!!! Zip Seal for your neck is also $148.

I dunno why you'd pay $3k for a custom cut suit when you can get one for less than $1k even with import duty by buying one from Seaskin.

I dunno why you'd pay $3k for a custom cut suit when you can get one for less than $1k even with import duty by buying one from Seaskin.

It's called buying American, plus wanting a suit made in the US for easier handling of any issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom