underwater forests in Tobermory??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those that cannot envision what is being discussed......(this is a Canadian chart so the printed values you see are metric)

Approximate GPS LAT/LON - Absolute SWAG so use accordingly.

LAT = 44.818368
LON = -81-019502

Last edited:
For all I know I am a hundred miles off target so I expect I'll get to do some "exploring" at best. Fingers are crossed none the less. I keep no secrets about dive sites so if I get lucky, the coordinates and descriptions would be shared.

Looks like as long as everything works to my favour, on June 30, 4 of us will be diving Gunderson Shoal searching for a sunken forest. We'll do two dives and hopefully find something. If not, we`ll be diving so it will all be good.

Well, I would not call today a rambling success but we did in fact see a couple (what appeared to be) petrified stumps on the top of Gunderson Shoal......NOT an underwater forest though. I suspect we were close because of the couple stumps but we opted to not do a second dive. I'll post the anchor location if anybody wants to give it a try.

Are you going to give it another shot? I'm between boats at the moment and it's a bit far out for a shore dive.

Are you going to give it another shot? I'm between boats at the moment and it's a bit far out for a shore dive.

Maybe someday but the boat we had access to was not really suitable for four divers so no second dive.......and we are off to dive the Scovil and Niagara this morning.

there is a submerged forest near tobermory .

its in the sound of mull-scotland.

good wrecks as well.

Sorry to raise this old thread... Just saw it!

We found a bunch of petrified stumps in the early 80's in Tobermory while tow-planning. I long-ago lost the coordinates, but my recollection is that it was NW of Devil's Island. We were looking for a wreck which we never did find. :(

There are a couple of submerged waterfalls... one right near Dunks Point. The waterfall is at the southern end of a beautiful wall that runs from Dunks over to Flowerpot. If you have your own boat, it's an awesome wall to tow or scooter along, but it's fairly deep. The top of the wall averages around 90' - 120', and it drops down to more than 200'.

There is a second one, and a well-defined riverbed NE of James Island up near Fitzwilliam, just east of James Island. It isn't accessible unless you have your own (capable) boat. A few years ago we were up there and noticed some Navy divers in a big RHIB along with the Park boat. We came in close, then returned to those coordinates. (We were kinda hoping that there was a nice schooner down there, but just the river bed!)

Yes. I have arranged for a charter boat to take a couple of us out in the spring....well have the infor but have not booked the day yet. My intention is to try to do 2 longer dives (1 at the underwater forest and 1 at the wall) with the opportunity for a third dive if either turns out to be an exception or interesting dive. I think I have a thread out here somewhere on this but am rarely on ScubaBoard anymore so it is not really a reliable way of reaching out.

Back
Top Bottom