Underwater in High Definition (Comments?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That gave me a good laugh!

Hello, I'm new here, testing the water with both feet. I've been shooting and editing HD since 2000. On the surface! Now were underwater.
First let me say that 'low light' and HD are not good in the same sentence. You must have light with HD. PERIOD! Low light means dirty murky black levels. So if you aren't going to throw down a few grand on lights... stay in shallow water on sunny days.
Second, Sony uses HDV which is MPEG-2 compression. The color sample rate and interframe compression makes for trouble. Great for a talking head. Not the best when every single pixel of info is changing every frame because frames are being 'compared' for compression. Also HDV has a verticle streak when light hits the lens. Have you experienced this? Not a lens flare - it's a compression error and it's ugly. I have examples from looking at a strong back light. I shoot DVCPRO-HD which is 'interframe' compression, each frame on its own, and a much higher 14MB/sec data rate.
Last, you have to be able to post and color correct it to really look good, even after all the camera adjustments it has to be 'fixed in post' just like the big guys.
If you're shooting for yourself, you'll love everything you shoot. And HD will be around for the grandkids. (HDV too)
Much success to you. let me know how it goes.
my podcast: http://web.mac.com/lvhd
See you in my wide angle lens,
Paul

I worked a short time for a production company that did lighting for theaters. Talk about lights! One set had 50 – 2kws and a I think over a 100 1kws and numerous 500W parrcans.

I remember showing up at a small high school that was staging a production for the “Young Americans” (that will date ya!) and when I asked where the lighting electrical panel was, the stage manager pointed to a 100amp panel on the wall and says that should be sufficient! Needless to say we had to rent a generator.

My video setup has two SL50 Nocturnal lights and it works like Dr. Bill’s – close work only!

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom