Unexpected sighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Early Saturday afternoon with dive buddy Scott. I was pressed for time, so opted for a local dive and we dive the pinnacles off of Malibu Rd. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, and today we descended right on one of the pinnacles, with amazingly good viz (roughly 25 ft), despite a decent size outgoing tide and choppy conditions, but unfortunately viz got progressively worse toward the bottom at 30 ft. While meandering around one of the pinnacles, we both spotted something that didn't belong. I've seen reports of Cortez angelfish at Catalina, but never expected to see one of these guys on a shore dive in Malibu. Depth was only about 15-18 ft, which is also a little shallower than normal, but it was above the slight thermocline. Kudos to my buddy for having his GoPro handy, since I didn't expect much from today's dive

Early Saturday afternoon with dive buddy Scott. I was pressed for time, so opted for a local dive and we dive the pinnacles off of Malibu Rd. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, and today we descended right on one of the pinnacles, with amazingly good viz (roughly 25 ft), despite a decent size outgoing tide and choppy conditions, but unfortunately viz got progressively worse toward the bottom at 30 ft. While meandering around one of the pinnacles, we both spotted something that didn't belong. I've seen reports of Cortez angelfish at Catalina, but never expected to see one of these guys on a shore dive in Malibu. Depth was only about 15-18 ft, which is also a little shallower than normal, but it was above the slight thermocline. Kudos to my buddy for having his GoPro handy, since I didn't expect much from today's dive

My device won't play this but very pleased for you.

Video no load. What should we be seeing if it were to play? Another porcupinefish, or angelfish, or...?

The good news is that if we keep seeing these warm water fish in Socal, then I won’t need to fly to some far away tropical location to see these critters!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom