Update on Brac Beach and Cobalt Coast Resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just returned from the Caymans, we spent a week on Grand Cayman and a week on Little Cayman. While we were on GC we visited the Cobalt Coast resort that was recently purchased by JEM, the Tibbetts family corporation that owns Cayman Brac Beach Resort and Little Cayman Beach Resort.

Cobalt Coast looked very nice from what we could see, it may need a little upgrading but it seemed like a nice place. It is well "off the beaten path" so if you want to see the sites and attractions of GC while staying there you will need to rent a car for at least part of the time.

LCBR has a new resort manager named Chris who just started. The previous manager Kimberly is taking over at Cobalt Coast. Craig from LC Reef Divers has also gone to Cobalt Coast and Sharon is now the manager of the dive op on LC.

Renovations at the newly renamed Cayman Brac Beach Resort are expected to end as of November 13 and the resort will be back open for business, but the official Grand Re-Opening ceremony with government representatives won't take place until January. I was told that the reason for the renovations, especially the huge pool system with an infinity pool, is to make the resort more attractive to non-diving spouses and families traveling with divers.

There were 4 dive boats operating at LCBR while we were there, Holiday Diver and Reef Fanta Seas along with 2 boats from Brac (Little Sister and Ocean Sister). We were told that Reef Divers is taking advantage of the shut down at Brac Beach to get some of their boats re-furbished. Also that at least 1 new boat will be coming to LCBR (maybe 2?) because of the expansion of the dive op to include Cobalt Coast.

That's all the news I heard while hanging out at the Beach Nuts Bar; it was a fantastic trip!

Glad to hear Sharon is in charge of the dive op. She is always one of the first ones to say hi and welcome us back when we come down to check in at the dive shop on the first morning of a trip.

Does anyone know what services Reef Divers will provide from Cobalt Coast? Website still looks like Divetech, 2 boat dives in AM. I was hoping would be at least 1 tank, if not 2, in the PM and a couple of night dives per week. I sent a message through the website but have not gotten a reply

Does anyone know what services Reef Divers will provide from Cobalt Coast? Website still looks like Divetech, 2 boat dives in AM. I was hoping would be at least 1 tank, if not 2, in the PM and a couple of night dives per week. I sent a message through the website but have not gotten a reply

When I was at DEMA I spoke with the folks who own the LCBR and CBBR. It's my understanding that they will offer 2 morning dives at the Cobalt property along with unlimited shore diving. I don't think that is set in stone but it appeared they were leaning in that direction. Not sure if they would offer a separate night dive as I would think you could night dive from shore but I never asked them about that. It's also my understanding they will not change the name of the Cobalt Coast Resort. For now they will probably leave the meals as they are but will likely go to the same system as you find at the other two resorts with a buffet style at some point.

They recognize that the Cobalt resort has an excellent reputation so they don't seem to be planning to make any major changes. I think they will tweak things here and there until they have it like they want it but no reason to fix what ain't broke.

They really need to consider afternoon boats. I've always liked the property but without the built in option of shore diving at Turtle Reef or Lighthouse Point it loses some appeal. IMO the shore diving there is not good enough or reliable enough to fill the gap.

They really need to consider afternoon boats. I've always liked the property but without the built in option of shore diving at Turtle Reef or Lighthouse Point it loses some appeal. IMO the shore diving there is not good enough or reliable enough to fill the gap.

Exactly.

Divetech at Lighthouse Point has expanded offerings and has 2 tank PM trips

---------- Post added November 11th, 2015 at 06:30 PM ----------

Actually, I can't see how they will be able to compete with Ocean Frontiers or Divetech for serious divers, 4-5 boat dives/day

I posted a question about dives on cobalt coast facebook and got the response below; it appears they are only planning morning dives and shore dives.

Cobalt Coast Dive Resort Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, at this time Reef Divers will be offering valet diving services for those on the daily 2-tank boat dives. We do have shore diving available at Cobalt Coast Resort - quite a lovely and very large dive site, loads of critters, places no one has seen and lots of reefs! The unlimited shore diving is included in the boat diving package rate. Guided night dives will be offered on a sign up basis on-Island on Tuesday and Thursday nights. Or, you can go in a buddy pair as part of your unlimited shore diving. Looking forward to having you stay and dive with us in the near future!

I agree. The shore diving is good at the Cobalt Coast site of the weather co operates.
The North gets blown out fairly often which would mean having to go elsewhere to dive in the PM and at night.

Reef divers needs to cut a deal with Olin at Turtle Reef and also organize a shuttle to get over there.
They will be doing plenty of shuttling in the AM as well, as it is rare to have seas calm enough to tie up dive boats at the pier at Cobalt.

Actually, I can't see how they will be able to compete with Ocean Frontiers or Divetech for serious divers, 4-5 boat dives/day

Not sure they are after that market anyway. Even at LCBR or CBBR they offer at most one afternoon boat dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom