Update on Brac Beach and Cobalt Coast Resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

way more beach than they used to have, but yeah.

I think the Cobalt Coast name is much nicer and more representative, and unique. "Grand Cayman Beach Resort" may suit someones need for symmetry but is a really boring name.

I think it would be a mistake to name it Grand Cayman Beach Resort because there is very little actual beach at Cobalt Coast. Just a narrow strip that looks like it was engineered into place on an ironshore base.

When a hotel claims to be a beach resort on Grand Cayman everyone naturally assumes it is on the Seven Mile Beach - and the Cobalt Coast beach is no where near in the same league as the 7MB.

i think in any resort naming case they will bring reef divers into Cobalt as dive operator. an excellent dive outfit IMO.

Bruce

i think in any resort naming case they will bring reef divers into Cobalt as dive operator. an excellent dive outfit IMO. Bruce

Reef Divers is definitely the new dive op at Cobalt Coast starting Dec 1st:

Reef Divers Dives into Grand Cayman

---------- Post added November 16th, 2015 at 08:40 PM ----------

way more beach than they used to have, but yeah. I think the Cobalt Coast name is much nicer and more representative, and unique. "Grand Cayman Beach Resort" may suit someones need for symmetry but is a really boring name.

I agree; when they announced the renaming of Brac Reef Beach Resort as Cayman Brac Beach Resort, the press release said something like "the new name will convey that the resort is a premier dive destination" (or something like that). I remember thinking "so you took the word Reef out of the name in order to convey that it is a dive destination, huh?!")

I think that they were just trying to make it clear that Brac is a sister resort to the more popular LCBR. I also guess that adding the word Cayman to the name will help people understand where it is located because a lot of folks have never heard of Brac.

Reef Divers is definitely the new dive op at Cobalt Coast starting Dec 1st:

Reef Divers Dives into Grand Cayman

---------- Post added November 16th, 2015 at 08:40 PM ----------

I agree; when they announced the renaming of Brac Reef Beach Resort as Cayman Brac Beach Resort the press release said something like "the new name will convey that the resort is a premier dive destination" (or something similar). I remember thinking "so you took the word Reef out of the name in order to convey that it is a dive destination, huh?!"

I think that they were just trying to make it clear that Brac is a sister resort to the more popular LCBR.

very cool! how is this going to affect dive personnel and boats at little cayman and the brac?

very cool! how is this going to affect dive personnel and boats at little cayman and the brac?

Some of the Reef Divers staff are relocating to Cobalt Coast, I was told that Craig from LC will be the new dive op manager at CC and Sharon is now the dive op manager at LC.

We were at LCBR the first week of November and two of the boats in use were from Brac (Little Sister and Ocean Sister.) Divemaster Marcus told us that they were taking advantage of the shut down and renovations at Brac to refurbish some of the Reef Divers boats. He also said that LCBR would be getting at least one (maybe two) new boats as they re-deploy their fleet to include the new CC resort.

We were on Ocean Sister and it was looking a little sad, I think it could use some refurbishing.

They are probably going to get some additional dive staff (just my opinion) but Becky from the dive shop on Brac married divemaster Erik just before the shut down and they have gone back to live in the UK. So they were probably short-staffed before the Cobalt Coast resort acquisition was announced.

Some of the Reef Divers staff are relocating to Cobalt Coast, I was told that Craig from LC will be the new dive op manager at CC and Sharon is now the dive op manager at LC.

We were at LCBR the first week of November and two of the boats in use were from Brac (Little Sister and Ocean Sister.) Divemaster Marcus told us that they were taking advantage of the shut down and renovations at Brac to refurbish some of the Reef Divers boats. He also said that LCBR would be getting at least one (maybe two) new boats as they re-deploy their fleet to include the new CC resort.

We were on Ocean Sister and it was looking a little sad, I think it could use some refurbishing.

as i recall the ocean sister is a newton 46. more spacious than a newton 42 like reef fanata seas that we had. ed was supposed to take ocean sister to brac or be worked on when we were there. they had some large groups when we were at LCBR. the one from Boston had 30+ people. about 2/3s of our boat were them. they were nice people, despite their east coast accents. i am from seattle, so have almost no accent. we had a great time.

When I was at DEMA they said they had no plans to rename Cobalt Coast to something else.

They are probably going to get some additional dive staff (just my opinion)

They were advertising on the PADI site a few months ago for instructors, managers and boat captains for grand cayman.

Here's a recent trip advisor review of the Cayman Brac Reef Resort with some comments about the remodeling; it seems like they are not quite finished even though they are back open for business.

Great lodging, service, valet dive service, buffets with all inclusive plan - Review of Cayman Brac Beach Resort, Cayman Brac, Cayman Islands - TripAdvisor

“Great lodging, service, valet dive service, buffets with all inclusive plan”

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The lodge just reopened after major renovations. They are still working on getting the new bar and pool area opened. Rooms were tastefully done and all three buffets a day were tasty and had plenty of options, with lots of fresh fruit, vegetables, and meats. Services provided by their dive center were excellent. You just carry your mask, snorkel, and fins to the back of the boat and they bring you the rest to don and dive. Our plan even included 3 cocktails a day. Highly recommend the resort and dive center.

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to be fully remodeled. Ours was excellent. Room 216.

Stayed November 2015, traveled as a couple

Here is a pic of the new freeform pool at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort, it looks huge!

BRBRpool.jpg

Back
Top Bottom