Update on Brac Beach and Cobalt Coast Resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I'm just uninformed, but I have a question about the new Cobalt Coast dive operation.

On all of our previous visits to CC, there were many days were they dive boats could not safely dock, and we were driven to the nearby Dive Tech Lighthouse point location. Won't the new dive operation have the same problem? Do they have different boats that can reliably dock at Cobalt Coast?

I have been to Cobalt Coast twice. When we were unable to use the Cobalt Coast dock, we left from the West Bay Dock, not Lighthouse Point. I would imagine that the Reef Divers will operate the same way.

Shore diving has also changed, multiple times. First it was Cobalt Coast and Turtle Reef then Cobalt Coast and Lighthouse Point. Now it is only Cobalt Coast, perhaps the area most effected by higher seas.

I asked, but have not yet heard how any SBers have liked the new Cobalt Coast and Reef Divers

Rare for boats to be able to get in at the dock. Divetech used Newtons, Reef Divers uses Newtons, so same draft. I was out on the north wall a few weeks ago and saw Reef Diver's boat out there so assume they use the yacht club when diving north and west bay dock when going west, like most of the other north/west operators. Presumably they run a shuttle from Cobalt Coast the same way Divetech used to do.

I'm gonna respond to a couple of things here but feel it right to mention up front that I work for Divetech.

Doctorfish is quite right in saying that Reef Divers use Newtons, as do we, theirs are larger than ours but all draw the same - 3 feet.

When we were based in Cobalt Coast, I would estimate that we could use that dock around about 4-5 months of the year, give or take a month. Bear in mind the months weren't uninterrupted by any means. The issue with that dock when there are waves present is the depth, this is why the draft of the boat is of importance.

I believe that again, Doctorfish is correct in saying that the yacht club is one of the places where Reef Divers will be taking out from (5-10 minute drive from CC), I imagine that in order to maintain continuity in the various weather patterns that they will be using at least 4 docks in total (including CC & YC) but as I say, this is speculation and not something that has come up in conversations that I have had with the guys over at Reef Divers.

One thing for sure is that there is no shore diving this week in any of the location that were mentioned in an earlier post as a strong northerly - northwesterly has blown them out.

We went to the Our World Underwater Scuba Expo in Chicago today and I stopped by the booth for LCBR, CBBR, and CCGCR. I asked the Rep about the diving at Cobalt Coast. She said that they will offer 2-tank boat dives in the morning and unlimited shore dives in the afternoon.

I said "I understand that the shore dives get winded out a lot in that area, is that true?" and she agreed that "getting winded out" is a possibility. She said that the dive op is planning to offer other excursions (e.g. trips to the Kittiwake) during the afternoons as an alternative to shore diving. I asked "will these special excursions cost extra?" and she said "yes".

When Divetech was at Cobalt Coast, they only offered AM boat trips, but, they had other afternoon activities such as CCR experience, the DPV West Bay Express... Of course, they always had 2 shore diving sites, Cobalt Coast and either Turtle Reef or Lighthouse Point.

Divetech now offers AM and PM boat trips as well as specialty trips like the Kittiwake and Stingray City. They still offer a wide array of other "signature" dives. They are now also limited to a single shore diving site, Lighthouse Point

Maybe Cobalt Coast will be content with the more casual recreational divers and Divetech will cater more to the serious divers.

Could use a little advice here. Wife and I are booking a short 4 night trip for April on GC. Diving is the main purpose of our trip. Deciding between Cobalt Coast as an AI or staying at Sunshine Suite and diving with Dive Tech. Staying at Lighhouse is not very practical for just a couple. If we stayed at Sunshine would likely take the Dive Tech shuttle over every AM, stay for lunch and either shore dive or take a PM boat out.

We don't typically stay at AIs, but this seemed a convenient way to maximize our 3 days of diving. I do see the concerns about getting blown out @ Cobalt, though.

Anyone have any input? How is Sunshine? Can we find reasonably priced food to eat for dinner along 7 mile?

Thanks

Sunshine suites is not ocean front. Cobalt would be my choice. Reef divers will bring boat around to wherever there is a leeward shore so no worries about being blown out.

I never stayed at Cobalt Coast but we visited the property that last time we were on GC and it looked nice, not fancy but clean and nice. I haven't eaten there so I cannot comment on the food but I have dived with Reef Divers - the onsite dive op - and they are excellent. Since you will be there for such a short time it would be very convenient to have meals, diving, and accommodations all easily available.

But just to let you know, CC is pretty far "off the beaten path" and if you want to visit any other sites on the island you will probably need to rent a car or take taxis. I believe there is a bus service but you might not want to spend your limited time on buses.

I don't have any experience with Dive Tech or Sunshine Suites but they both have good reputations. If you stay at Sunshine you will be close to West Bay and the 7 Mile Beach - but not on the water - but with lots of nearby restaurants. Is the Dive Tech shuttle a boat or a bus? Again you may be spending a lot of time on transportation instead of enjoying your vacation - but I don't really know.

Another option you might want to look at is Sunset House which is south of 7MB and Georgetown. It is not an all-inclusive but "Diver's Breakfast" is included. They have an onsite dive op and, like Cobalt Coast, shore diving and snorkeling off the house reef.

Last edited:
Hi there

As always, I feel I have to disclose upfront that I work for Divetech.

Dan G - It would not be very professional of me to come on this forum and recommend that you come to us as of course my opinion would be biased. That said, we'd love to host you for your trip to Grand Cayman and whatever it is you want from your stay here, I am sure we can accommodate.

I'd like to just chime in with a couple of points that have been raised in order to offer clarification.

Sunshine suites is not beach front but is still only a 5 minute walk from Seven Mile Beach. It is located at the top of Seven Mile itself so very convenient for getting to all the restaurants and bars located there.

Sunshine Suites is approximately 5 minutes drive from Lighthouse point - the current home of Divetech, and the shuttle is our own pick up service. It will be one of our dm's, possibly even me, who picks you up in our van and brings you to the dive centre. Drop offs work the same way.

I would be more than happy to answer any questions that you or anyone else has about the services we offer and how we run our operation. Feel free to respond to this post or pm me.

Whoever you decide to go with, I hope you have a great time on the island. If you do dive with us then please do introduce yourself as I always enjoy catching up with fellow scubaboard members.

All the best

Drew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom