Update on Brac Beach and Cobalt Coast Resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunshine suites is not ocean front. Cobalt would be my choice. Reef divers will bring boat around to wherever there is a leeward shore so no worries about being blown out.

The concern with getting blown out at Cobalt Coast is not with the boat dives, but with the on-site shore diving that seems to be the only option they currently offer in the afternoons. ( I have gotten blown out there in April.)

I think CC would be all-around the nicest experience of the 3, but it may be more effort to maximize the diving, which DanG wants for a short trip. I think it's actually a pretty nice place, but doesn't come off as fancy because things are more of a modern Danish decor. IMO it's actually a great location for those who prefer "off the beaten path" - in a peaceful quiet area, but not really that far to civilization when you want it. (We've always rented a car.) You could hope for good shore diving conditions there for the afternoons. I didn't think the shore diving at CC was good enough that we wanted to do it much even when conditions were good - it's a longish swim to much of anything. The North wall is theoretically an option but it's a major swim, like a scooter is very useful. If shore diving there doesn't work out you could rent a car and hit the Sundivers at Turtle Reef and Divetech at Lighthouse sites nearby to dive for the afternoons, which is not a bad idea anyway as they're good sites and are usually a little more sheltered. Or arrange afternoon boats with another op if Cobalt still isn't doing anything like that - Stingray City, Kittawake, whatever.

I guess enough people like Sunset House, but I'm not a fan. It's been a long time since we stayed there last, and at least the rooms look nicer in the pictures than they used to be and they've made other physical improvements. But their boats were slow and crappy, they dove the crowded West end sites an awful lot, and the shore diving there seemed beat - I'm not sure any of that has changed. For a short trip where you want everything convenient and as much diving as you can get it could be a good option, but I'd just expect to get better dive quality elsewhere.

I haven't stayed at Sunshine Suites, but I think there's a pretty reasonable restaurant there, which I'm not sure we've ever managed to eat at because it's so popular and packed. There have been occasional discussions of affordable eats on this board which you could probably find. One place which always comes to mind is Chicken Chicken. If you have a car and some sort of kitchen, the grocery store in West Bay used to have a great selection of prepared foods.

You might also look at Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers on the East End. No shore diving there and not AI, but they have am and pm 2-tank boats and a few night boats. I'd expect good conditions in April and it gets you to some of the better diving on the island from there. You'll want a vehicle, but sometimes they offer room/dive/car packages that are pretty good. All around great place.

I have never stayed at Sunset House or dived with them. We've just visited the property to go to the very large onsite photo shop, and we've had a few drinks at the beach bar. It seems a nice place and it is very popular with divers, but I have also heard the rumor that sometimes they go to the nearby, less interesting dive sites. But I don't have first-hand knowledge.

Could use a little advice here. Wife and I are booking a short 4 night trip for April on GC. Diving is the main purpose of our trip. Deciding between Cobalt Coast as an AI or staying at Sunshine Suite and diving with Dive Tech. Staying at Lighhouse is not very practical for just a couple. If we stayed at Sunshine would likely take the Dive Tech shuttle over every AM, stay for lunch and either shore dive or take a PM boat out.

We don't typically stay at AIs, but this seemed a convenient way to maximize our 3 days of diving. I do see the concerns about getting blown out @ Cobalt, though.

Anyone have any input? How is Sunshine? Can we find reasonably priced food to eat for dinner along 7 mile?I am on Island now.

Thanks

In reference to your food question Sunshine has a restaurant on site which is reasonable and right around the corner within walking distance on 7 Mile Beach is "Eats" which is probably the most reasonable you will find in that area.

If you want any other advice about the Island feel free to PM me I own down here and spend a lot of time on Island.

Hi Dan,

I've been traveling regularly to Grand Cayman for diving since 2008, and can't speak highly enough about Divetech's operation.

Divetech does offer shore diving at LHP, weather permitting. The nice thing about Divetech is if they weather turns sour, they have afternoon boat trips running from other locations, so you can keep on diving. Divetech is very accommodating, and I would not dive with anyone else.

Lastly, Sunshine Suites is where I'd stay. Very nice accommodations, and easy walking distance to 7-mile where everything is. I've stayed at Cobalt many times, and while it is a decent operation - it is in the middle of nowhere.

Reasonably priced is of course, is subject to interpretation, :) but as someone who dives and travels on a budget, it's what I would do.

Tony

Cayman Islands Restaurants Guide - some of the individual listings have menus with prices.

Keep in mind that the restaurant prices are listed in $CI and that the US dollar is worth about $0.80 in the Caymans. Also, you should know that many (not all) restaurants add a service charge - usually 15%. That's fine and you may want to include an additional tip, but it can be confusing at first with the conversion from USD to CID and with the tip on top of that. So you just have to be aware of what you are paying - you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Also, some credit cards charge foreign transaction fees that may add as much as 1, 2, or even 3% onto your charges. We use a card that doesn't have an annual fee and doesn't charge foreign transaction fees.

Have fun wherever you decide to stay!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. We are booked with Sunshine and diving with Dive Tech. Looking forward to a new island and hoping to be able to make the most of just 3 days of diving.

Thanks for the input. We are booked with Sunshine and diving with Dive Tech. Looking forward to a new island and hoping to be able to make the most of just 3 days of diving.

Dan

That's great to hear, I look forward to meeting you when you get here in April.

Drew

FWIW, we were on GC earlier this month, and I had a great experience on a guided shore dive with Dive Tech at Lighthouse Point. We are planning a trip back to GC this fall and we have already contacted Dive Tech to see if they have a lodging package that will work for us.

My family finds the best arrangements for GC are to rent a condo at the north end of 7 mile beach near west bay, boat dive in the AMs and then shore dive PMs and nights at Turtle Reef, Cobalt or Lighthouse depending on conditions. These shore ops are all miniwall so no guide required even for relative newbies.
Accommodation at condos like Christopher Columbus and Anchorage is relatively inexpensive off season, and they are right on the beach. There is something to be said about getting up in the morning, looking out your window at the sea or even sitting on your balcony having a coffee and listening to the waves.
Sunshine suites is very nice but not directly on the ocean.

Have stayed at Cobalt and enjoyed very much but with previous management.
Reef Divers runs an outstanding operation on Brac and LC so I am sure they will do likewise on GC.

Our personal favorite dive op on the west is DNS. Big boats, small groups and valet service.
We also like diving with Wall to Wall.

The dive business is very competitive on GC, so I am sure that many other west side ops are good as well, but no recent personal experience. All the operators should offer a discount for a group or multi day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom