URGENT-Laguna Beach May Close Diving - Meeting Tues 11/3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does a beach closure really affect a diver? I don't plan on being on the beach when I dive. I simply use it to transition from the street to the water. I don't think they can over rule state law allowing us to have access to the water. Am I missing something?

I have been to Laguna a few times early in the AM to find kids on the sand who had apparently spent the night.

I find it hard to believe that a cop is going to be rolling by to cite divers who are being courteous and quite (remember all those snorkel tickets they issued :wink: ). Remember, this is closure of the beach, not the street or the water.

All that being said, I am opposed to the proposed law but this meeting has been brought up to late, I'm already committed Tuesday...

The slippery slope argument is a bit strained. The curfew being considered is aimed at getting the party kids and homeless off the beaches at night, not as a prelude to banning diving. Both Huntington and Newport, including Corona del Mar, have had beach curfews for years. Most public parks also close sometime during the evening.

The slippery slope argument is a bit strained. The curfew being considered is aimed at getting the party kids and homeless off the beaches at night, not as a prelude to banning diving. Both Huntington and Newport, including Corona del Mar, have had beach curfews for years. Most public parks also close sometime during the evening.

I guess I must just be a little slow. No slippery slope? OK, then why is there a curfew? Why do I care if kids are on the beach at night or someone with no where to sleep choses to listen to the waves rather then the overpass of a freeway? I care not about the super rich living in their multi million dollar beach front homes. Perhaps they should have a curfew so as to not disturb the homeless and the hungry?! The beaches belong to all of us. They aren't just for the rich and the rich don't get to control when I can and cannot go for a swim because it might interfere with their sleep habits. The ocean and the beaches are not for sale and they aren't for rashion. The taxpayers should get the beach 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. End of story.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Laguna approves nightly beach closure
Access exceptions include divers, runners.
By CLAUDIA KOERNER
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
Comments 2| Recommend 0

LAGUNA BEACH – Walking, jogging, diving and fishing will continue to be legal all hours of the night at beaches, but any other activities between 1 and 5 a.m. will be grounds for citation when a new ordinance goes into effect next month.

The City Council passed the beach and park closing time ordinance Tuesday night at a council meeting. In its second reading of the originally broader ordinance, the council opted to allow what they called "wet sand activities." The only time a person may be on the dry sand during the closed hours is if they are crossing to the wet sand.

The ordinance, revised to address concerns from local divers and the Coastal Commission, comes after police reported a 25 percent increase in nighttime calls for service at parks and beaches so far this year. Council members approved the ordinance 4-1, with Verna Rollinger in dissent.

"If we have activities in the beaches and parks that are illegal, I think we should address those issues directly and not shut down the parks for everyone," Rollinger said.

Several residents again said the closing time was not in keeping with Laguna Beach's traditions, a view discussed more extensively at the ordinance's first reading last month.

Local divers, who supported the revised version of the ordinance, also proposed rewording it again.

"The most direct route may be on a particular evening an unsafe route," said Marshall Krupp, vice president of the Orange County Ocean Foundation. The council agreed to add "safe" to the ordinance's language

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom