Use of Scuba unit for Fire/Haz-Mat Escape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Phoenix we had someone use scuba gear to escape there burning house.
Then they were arrested for arson. Then...

Well... the smart choice was to remove trees around the house and have a water tank and sprinkles on the roof and around the place. It could have been much worse had the house not been properly prepped.
Lots of possible thoughts entering the mind of someone facing such a situation. The SCUBA was definitely a ‘lifesaver’ for smoke inhalation but the ability to use it in a ‘cool water’ pool thwarted the heat intensity hazards as well. No matter how far brush is clear from a safe haven, safety can be compromised by wind generated by weather or the intensity of the fire itself. A good call by the pool owner and glad it turned out favorably. 😀

I have used an old 2stage hooked to shop air, to weld inside a water tank, that was tarred, we cleaned as much with a wire wheel. But no matter what, you have to burn the residual tar out.
No googles. I am a natural mouth breather so it wasn't to bad.

I also bought a BP60 rebreather from a guy that wanted to use it as fire escape...
But he came to realize he had no clue of the equipment he owned.
I can see a lot of missing details🤔 in ‘This’ response. Was the ‘Shop air’ filtered to the point of it being safe to breathe? I have gotten sick on ‘bad air’ from a County Fire Department air compressor that had had some kind of malfunction. I had to lift my dive partner out onto our boat standing on a sandbar as he had thrown-up so much from the bad air he couldn’t get out on his own.🤢🤮 I had a bad headache. 😵‍💫Keith contacted the Fire Captain and let him know to check and empty any filled tanks and get the compressor fixed. It didn’t take but a few seconds to turn a nice ‘clam and oyster’ collecting dive into a real nasty mess. We were not ‘good’ for about two days. I felt OK, but Keith called his family doctor after he called F D.

Please be Super Careful with tank fills and ‘hose-supplied’ air sources. They can be bad news. 😨☠️

As for using a rebreather…I am not so sure that they can be used for but a short time above water. Positive pressure through a SCUBA setup seems more a likely way to get clean air wherever it may be needed. …rebreather gurus, please contribute your thoughts if you get to read this post. I have no RB training whatsoever.

Scott G. Bonser

In Phoenix we had someone use scuba gear to escape there burning house.
Then they were arrested for arson. Then...
EGADS, I wonder what arsonist was thinking to attempt this one. To actually ‘cause’ a haz-mat situation just invites ‘mistakes’ ….sometimes deadly ones. …and to possibly take poison to ‘bail’ in the C R. …sounds like a ‘not-so-stable’ individual. I agree S R. ‘Sad’😢

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom