Use of the long free diving fins while on scuba when spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do people use stiffer fins for spearfishing vs. freediving ?

From what I've read, freedivers consider efficiency more important than power. They say a stiffer fin gives them quicker acceleration and power, but at the cost of energy/breath efficiency.

For scuba use, since air efficiency is not as big a concern, would a fin slightly stiffer be useful ?

I think it would come down to personal preference, strength and endurance of diver. Also, as in freediving- the type of diving you are doing makes a difference. If you are doing long swims off the beach (either scuba or freediving) then a softer fin will be more desireable. If you are not kicking that often and only need to sprint around for short bursts, then I think a stiffer fin could be beneficial.

However, I think efficiency IS a big consideration for a scuba diver (and a big benefit) of freedive fins. If a scuba diver is more efficient, he can swim further with less exertion, effort and air consumption.

My son who is around 135 lbs uses soft Fiberglass for free and scuba and I am around 225 and use a medium stiffness for both activities.

In general, scuba divers are probably not swimming for 3- 4 hours a day (like many freedivers) so... a stiffer fin for scuba could be acceptable.

My fiberglass Leaderfins are medium flex, but many say they are equivalent to other mfr. soft. They definitely were easy on my legs and ankles doing 2 dives a day in Cozumel for 1 week.

Most of my diving is off a boat, but I am a smaller guy. I've read that the better your kick technique, the less stiff the fins need to be. Do you agree with that ?

I have a 1 week liveaboard coming up soon, so I'll find out how my legs and ankles handle more kicking/diving.

My fiberglass Leaderfins are medium flex, but many say they are equivalent to other mfr. soft. They definitely were easy on my legs and ankles doing 2 dives a day in Cozumel for 1 week.

Most of my diving is off a boat, but I am a smaller guy. I've read that the better your kick technique, the less stiff the fins need to be. Do you agree with that ?

I have a 1 week liveaboard coming up soon, so I'll find out how my legs and ankles handle more kicking/diving.

I know that many very good free divers prefer softer fins.. I don't have an opinion about kick technique versus quality of form..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom