Using Air2 or Air Control Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Velasco

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I need to renew equipment, thinking of getting the "new" octopus such as Scuba Pro Air 2 or Mares Air Control. Does anybody have experience with this design? pros and cons?

Also, can it be integrated into a Cressi Travel Light BCD?

Thanks for your help

Carlos (Madrid, Spain)

Oh boy, looks like you just opened can of worms. Will be interesting to see the responses, there are some strong opinions for both pro and con here.

You might also look at the Atomic SS1 if you can find it in your area. My dive instructor uses it, says he loves it. Outfitted his daughter with one as well.

If you go with one of the alternate inflator/reg combo you also look into getting a longer hose attachment. Will give you little more range of motion if need to share air.

1. pro - streamline profile by eliminating one extra hose.

2. con - may be awkward in air sharing since you now have your inflator in your mouth making control on ascent more complicated.

fun and safe diving to all

I haven't used the exact models you are asking about. I had an Oceanic Air XS. Personally,... I hated it. Not the idea of it, just the design of the Air XS. It was not built in mind for someone with small hands & short fingers. I went back to a bungee'd Octo. The way the air 2 is designed is much better (I service them). I have no experience with Mares prducts. Anyway, The general Pros & Cons of an integrated air source:

Pros: Elimination of 1 hose for better stream lining & less clutter, The air scource is always handy in the same place (no more trying to find the octo when it falls out of its holder. That said, I have never had an octo fall out of a bungee necklace).

Cons: If you do not already,... you will need to get used to the donation of the primary regulator (the one in your mouth)as the integrated air source is too short to donate, on ascents to vent the expanding air from the BC, you will have to either use an alternate shoulder dump, pull the inflator hose (has a cord that is attached to the shoulder dump valve) or take the regulator out of your mouth to dump the air, the power inflate & deflate buttons are in a little different spot you need to get used to that. Also they don't tend to breathe the greatest, but then most octo don't either. It is an emergency device, designed to safely get you to the surface.

Most of the "Cons" really aren't Cons, it is more just needing to get used to a different configuration.

As a dive guide,my kit includes Scubapro Mk25/S600/R395/AIR2. I have never really used my AIR2 for any reason but it's there 'just in case'. If you are not a working dive guide then you can eliminate one hose from your first stage. I not sure what big advantage it is but I'm sure there is one. One disadvantage would be you having to use it while giving your primary to your buddy that's why I installed my extra (3rd) reg.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

I use AIR2 myself. Some believe that ascending is harder since you pretty much lose one of your spots to dump air from your BC while you are sharing air. Personally, I feel that's why there are multiple dump valves. I have one on my other shoulder as well I can use. If you are sharing air, you're not wanting to add air, so .... no worries. I like it because I lose a hose and feel more streamlined with less things to keep track of. My secondary air source is always on my left shoulder in the same place every time.

Atomic Aquatics SS1 can be fitted to any corrugated hose. It comes with an adaptor kit to make sure that this can happen.

And yes, you can vent air from your BC while it's in your mouth being used as an octopus.

I use the SP Air 2 for many applications. I add a 5 or 7' octo if with students. However, diving open water recreational diving with folks that I know their dive skills (very good) the Air 2 is a great choice - one less hose, low profile, etc. If one of my buds were to have a low air situation - the Air 2 works fine for an ascent to the safety stop and surface. I use the Air 2 at the end of many of my rec dives for practice, familiarity, and to make sure it is working properly - never been an issue.

I agree with the other two poster with regard t the Atomic SS1.
I use one as do my wife and daughter.

As others have mentioned the Atomic SS1 comes three different types of adapters so that it will fit almost any BC corrugated hose.

I have had mine for about 6 years and have had no problems whatsoever.
I don't know if they sell Atomic products in Spain.

Hello,

I need to renew equipment, thinking of getting the "new" octopus such as Scuba Pro Air 2 or Mares Air Control. Does anybody have experience with this design? pros and cons?

Also, can it be integrated into a Cressi Travel Light BCD?

Thanks for your help

Carlos (Madrid, Spain)

Back
Top Bottom