Using Claritin-D (Sudafed) for decongestant W/O a cold - just to help equalize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

filmguy123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Thoughts on using a decongestant when you don't have a cold? Just to make equalizing easier?

I take claratin anyway for allergies, just wondering if the added Sudafed would make equalizing a breeze?

I imagine it would be ok I can successfully dive and equalize without it? No exaggerated reverse squeeze? Just the same as it would have been without?

Had also heard it could potentially interact with nitrogen absorption and make getting Narced at deeper depths more likely?

There is always a debate on this. I always use it.

I use Zyrtec-D on a daily basis during the spring. I dive with it and have have never had adverse effects. I have never chose to use it specifically to dive.

I use regular Claritin or Alavert when I am diving to keep my allergies under control. Instead of a decongestant, I use Flonase. This has worked well to keep my ears open so I can equalize properly.
I used to use 12-hour Claritin-D, especially when doing multiple dives from a boat, but haven't found it necessary since I started using Flonase.

I would not recommend an unnecessary medication if you have no problems equalizing. If you do have some difficulty then yes, adding Sudefed may help and there is even research to support. But like all meds there are potential side effects so make sure it is the right choice for you.

The controversy, besides potential unwanted side effects, is the theoritical increased risk of oxtox.

Some decongestants cause 'rebound' congestion if over-used (over more than a few days). For that reason alone, I'd counsel against unnecessary use. Also, be wary of side-effects. Sudafed can have unpleasant effects, especially at depth. I had palpitations from Sudafed on a deep dive, long ago....and don't use it now.

A saline nasal wash is more than sufficient to keep your sinuses clear for routine diving.

The other 'top tip' is to never blow your nose. This pushes mucus up your Eustachian tubes. It's much better to 'snort and spit' (albeit less sociable). This helps draw out mucus (suction), rather than overpressure it inwards.

Some decongestants cause 'rebound' congestion if over-used (over more than a few days). For that reason alone, I'd counsel against unnecessary use. Also, be wary of side-effects. Sudafed can have unpleasant effects, especially at depth. I had palpitations from Sudafed on a deep dive, long ago....and don't use it now.

A saline nasal wash is more than sufficient to keep your sinuses clear for routine diving.

The other 'top tip' is to never blow your nose. This pushes mucus up your Eustachian tubes. It's much better to 'snort and spit' (albeit less sociable). This helps draw out mucus (suction), rather than overpressure it inwards.
Rebound is an issue with nasal spray decongestants like Afrin. It is not an issue with the oral decongestant pseudophedrine.

Blowing your nose is fine. The issue is when you block a nasal passage then blow or blow too forcefully, just as with too forceful valsalva. If you prefer, "snort" and swallow is fine. No need to spit. Your stomach acid will digest the mucus just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom