Using flashlight while taking photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unaware6905

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When night diving with a camera, to light your way or just the surroundings in general, do you use a flashlight or just the targeting lamp on your strobe(s)? If you use a flashlight, how do you hold it while using your hands for the camera rig?

When night diving with a camera, to light your way or just the surroundings in general, do you use a flashlight or just the targeting lamp on your strobe(s)? If you use a flashlight, how do you hold it while using your hands for the camera rig?
I use dedicated focus light installed on top of the housing, it is good enough to use it as torch and it will turn the light off when flash is firing. What I use -> X-adventurer Smart Focus Video Light Silver | Diveinn
a bit too wide for night diving but I mostly use in the red light mode. If you can find one with more focused narrower beam, it might be even better.

I put a small video light on the cold shoe of the housing, can use it for video, macro video, targeting, and a primary dive light.

I'm using the Backscatter MW4300, it's got 5 levels on the narrow center beam, 3 levels each in Wide and Red/focus modes.

What I use -> X-adventurer Smart Focus Video Light Silver | Diveinn
a bit too wide for night diving but I mostly use in the red light mode. If you can find one with more focused narrower beam, it might be even better.
I believe I use the same light, except branded as Weefine Smart Focus 1000FR. There is an optional condenser lens attachment that focuses its output into a narrow beam.

Just the focus light built into the strobe. More than enough light. High power hand torches are a hindrance to your night vision and to the critters you are looking at.

I use Light & Motion Sola lights.

The original one I bought supports red or white flood beams. I use an older model similar to this: Sola Photo 1200

When I bought my camera used, the seller provided two white video lights. If I don't need a red light, I'll take one of these: Sola Dive S/F

On night dives, I take one of each to have a backup. At BHB we can do 3-4 hour dives and that's about the lifespan of the battery charge for one light. No replaceable batteries.

I mount them on my camera housing.

My dive light sits on my wrist via a wrist mount.

So my hands are free to handle the camera.

ORCATORCHUpgradedVersionD550DiveLight1000LumensScubaSafetyTorchXM-2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom