Trip Report USS Moray (SS-300) Submarine (San Clemente Island -- 190 fsw)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Oh yeah, this is a big one and a LONG time coming.

We aren't the first team to dive it (that was five divers in 2012 from the UB88 team), but we are (AFAIK) the ONLY other team to dive the Moray since then. It is in tightly controlled and secured waters off Wilson Cove at San Clemente Island. You need to obtain special permission from the Navy to be in that area and to dive the wreck. You can't even transit the area without getting chased off.

Tyler Stalter and I were able to get the NHHC to sponsor us and obtain permission. The original trip was planned in Jan 2023 but permission got rescinded 48 hours before departure. We rescheduled with the Navy to July 11-13 and conducted five dives on the wreck on the Sundiver.

Below is a link to the full trip report which includes logistics, gear, dive team, and of course plenty of photos. As a bonus, we saw a couple of massive mola mola on the wreck and got photos & videos of them as well.

I will be publishing a separate post of the photogrammetry model which was the primary goal of the trip. The model contains 4,000 images and is absolutely epic. If you subscribe to the blog, you will get an update when it is published.

Here is a photo of the stern section:

Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 8.11.19 AM.png

Regards,

- brett

Congratulations, Brett. Long time indeed. It took us 18 months to get permission. Glad to see Ray finally made it. 🤣

Thanks, Kendall. Wait until you see the photogrammetry model. :)

- brett

Awesome! I remember hearing about planning for this a long time ago and completely forgot about it. It's nice to see the government/military/navy work with the general public. I remember doing a permit with the BLM once. Nothing moves fast nor is there anything approved until moments before. I think in my case I didn't actually get the final approval paperwork until after it was over, but my contact said it was good a couple days prior. The fun one was a year or two later they were doing an audit and pulled my file and were asking me questions. All was good. But not the best fun being Hermes Conrad.

Just last night I was working on the rEvo starting to recommission it into service. I have been off it way too long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom