Utila in January - basic Q's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTRski

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all.

Lotsa good trip reports here; tried to read thru most of them before re-asking old questions. Wife, myself, brother, and his wife were thinking of a dive trip in January but unfortunately bro's wife does NOT dive.

Would Utila be a good location for other activities for her? (She's okay lounging around a beach and snorkeling, etc. and we divers would skip at least one day down under to not leave her totally alone...maybe :wink: )

How's visability in January? Bugs better/worse than other times of year? Temperatures (both water and above surface)?

I note that places like Deep Blue consider January "standard rates" so sometime between whale-shark high season and the slow late summer months - good fish variety and some chance of pelagic sightings? Dolphins/etc?

Tanks kindly for any feedback!!

RTRski

We spend christmas and new years in Utila every year. The rainy season is usually coming to an end during this time period. Depending on how much rain there has been, vis can suffer (all the way down to 50-60 feet, oh my!!). I happen to love the temperature during this time. A bit cooler for sure. My experience has been that bugs are related more to wind movement than time of year, but I would defer to others on that.

Utila is a pretty laid back place. By definition, there's not much to "do" if you aren't diving. If she's comfortable in a hammock with a book, then she'll find plenty of things to "do". I don't suppose she fishes. If she does, I'd sure reccommend hitting rock harbor for the bone fish and tarpon. When we went, I'd have sworn that we were the first to ever cast a fly. They were everywhere and hit everything.

Happy to answer additional questions if you like.

itsjustme - We've been trying for 2 years to locate someone who has fished for bones on Utila! We're headed that way in about 3 weeks and would appreciate any information/tips you're willing to share.

Thanks for the reply itsjustme - and right from my own back yard, practically! (Dallas).

I see from your blog you're already working on moving down there...? Lucky man!! Want an IT/computer guy for your extensive home networking needs? (kidding)

Hopefullist- Best bonefishing I ever did was in Rock Harbor on the north side. Unlike every other place I've hit the bones, I don't think these have ever seen a fisherman, much less a fly. They'll hit everything. Same with the tarpon. When you are down there, try and hook up with Mikey. He's the long dark haired gringo from east Texas/new orleans. Just stop in and ask Andi at the bundu. He's hooked up with a guide who is truly unbelievable. Tell them Trey sent you.

RTRski- Not moving down, surely not for a while anyway. Just building a little place to call my own where I can dive off my dock and not have toanswer the phone. Let us know if you'll be there in January (we'll be there through the 6th) and we'll buy you a beer.

We're looking at a trip something like Jan 2nd thru the 10th/11th if we do come down (Wife is head chef at a catering co, so a post-New Year's Day shutdown is her only chance for a vacation). I'll definitely look you up if we do choose Utila!!

Interested in selling time-shares on your place? <wry grin>

As you can see from the blog, there's no place to stay. Once we have something, I am sure we'll make it available for rent. Of course, its boat access only and likely to stay that way for some time. For me that's a plus, for others maybe not so much.

Utilia is awesome for diving, but if you aren't diving, there really isn't all that much to do. It is a hoot just to peole watch, lounge--several bars are over the water. THere is a little bit of day trip stuff--snorkle tours, but not really beaches. Roatan has better beaches, but VERY different feel. We actually didn't like Roatan all that much, loved Utila.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom