Veo 2.0 Conservative Factor Turned On

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basking Ridge Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
General question - I personally leave my CF turned off - I want longer dive times.

My question is when or if I decide to turn it on Conservatism - NDLs get shorter that I understand due to CF and the table in the User Guide explains the times being shortened and what they shorten.
Will the DC go into Decompression mode if it hits the NDL based on CF? I am assuming yes - but you are not really in Decompression mode by my thought process - you still have time left if you did not turn on your CF.
I started thinking about when CF is turned on does the PDC think you are in Decompression Mode because of the NDL you imposed on it?
So essentially it is dumb and you need to account for any Deco you rack up based on the CF - right?
Thanks.

CF is meant to account for risk factors the DC cannot know like poor fitness, age, body fat, etc.
If you decide to set your VEO 2.0 to higher CF it will pretend you are diving at higher altitude and calculate NDL or deco stops acoording to this setting.
You can add conservatism by leaving the DC in standard mode and leaving the bottom before you reach 5 or 10 (or whatever number you think appropriate) minutes of NDL and by padding your safetystop. Additional time at the safety stop can be a bad idea if circumstances forbid (heaviy traffic above, fast running current, very cold or rough conditions, ...), but if possible without risk it gives you time to breath off more of your nitrogen load.

You have 4 choices for a decompression algorithm using the Veo 2, DSAT, DSAT with conservatism (equivalent to diving at 3001-4000 feet), PZ+, or PZ+ with conservatism. Ranking from most liberal to most conservative are DSAT, PZ+, DSAT with conservatism, PZ+ with conservatism. As an example, air NDLs for a single dive to 60 feet are 57, 48, 43, and 37 minutes. Besides being able to choose your level of conservatism, I believe the 4 choices are designed so that you can reasonably mimic the decompression algorithm of other computers, if you want to try to do that.

Yes, you would have to clear the required deco time, regardless of which algorithm you chose, or be locked out in violation guage mode for 24 hours. Diving a more liberal choice, and then avoiding the NDL, allows for the most flexibility.

yes.....what he said ......makes sense now ...thanks for the info.

I have the Geo 2 - are the same things true for it as for the Veo 2? These posts are super helpful.

Exactly the same, I've dived a Geo 2 backup for my VT 3 for 5 years. All dual algorithm Oceanic computers (made by the OEM, Pelagic Pressure Systems) have the 4 choices I outlined. My VT 3 and Geo 2 run DSAT within 30 seconds of one another. The VT 3 is pre-dual algorithm and only runs DSAT

The "new" Aqua Lung computers, also made by PPS, offer only PZ+, and not DSAT, so only have 2 choices

The DSAT (Diving Science and Technology) decompression algorithm is the basis for the PADI RDP. PZ+ is a modified version of Buhlmann ZHL-16C

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom