Verizon's TravelPass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enabled it for our trip to Jamaica this past fall. Intent was to not turn the phone on, but have it "just in case"... Well, the best plans.... On the last day, the resort decided to finalize out bill by manually entering our CC numbers off the deposit receipt. Needless to say, it caused a lock-down of the card. Well, now its time to use the phone to contact the bank...

Start up the phone, and surprise..... no signal. Give up and power it down, and, just as its going off, it manages to grab a weak signal. So, how does it work? Well, their billing does. I got hit for the 24 hour charge. I called Verizon as soon as I got home, explaining what transpired. The use had not shown up yet. They said they would flag my account, and not charge me. Needless to say, the next billing cycle, I was charged......

So, how does it work? Depends on the cell service, but the billing sure seems to work......

One of the "tricky" things I now have to deal with is you have to call them to disable it. I live along the US/Canada border, and the Canadian cellular is less regulated there compared to the US. Their signal blows over ours, and I can end up on Bell Mobile and face charges that are simply ridiculously high....

I wish there was a control panel "switch" on the Verizon system to enable/disable it.....

Last edited:
Thanks rhwestfall. My plan was to have it available if family needed to reach me. I had thought I would only be charged if I used the device but now looks like just powering it up costs. Looks like I would be charged each day, even if I don't use it. Good to know but that defeats the reason I wanted to have it.

FYI. If you are signed up and can access your account online you can activate/deactivate your international plan that way.

If you are signed up and can access your account online you can activate/deactivate your international plan that way.

I have not been able to locate the TravelPass on my online account..... it is the only International Plan item I have on my account....

When I signed up for it, i inquired about being able to switch it on and off, and they said i had to call them to do it.

I have not been able to locate the TravelPass on my online account..... it is the only International Plan item I have on my account....

When I signed up for it, i inquired about being able to switch it on and off, and they said i had to call them to do it.
I was searching the Verizonwireless site to see if there were any new international travel options when the TravelPass poped up. Read what little was available there and found the link to sign up. It reads as a change in your Verizon plan and I got an email verifying that my plan had changed and TravelPass was added. Obviously I haven't yet tried to cancel.

I like your idea that it should be an option to adjust on the phone just as you can change cellular options. But I think it is considered a Verizon plan feature and not a phone feature.

Looks like I need to call Verizon and clarify a few things...

I like your idea that it should be an option to adjust on the phone just as you can change cellular option

or even use the Verizon account web page to turn it on and off.....

I used their Mexican version, and it was OK... if you had signal. Finding signal was often very hard to do. I was in the Tulum area.

So followup from my Bonaire trip. Didn't really need it while there but on my last day I decided to pay the fee and give it a try.

It found the signal quickly but it was about 30 minutes before it actually connected and started working. Got a fairly decent signal from north of town in the Hato area to the airport. Didn't travel any futher that day. Used it at the airport to access the internet since the last time I used the public WiFi there my email account was hacked. All in all, it went well and I would do it again. The down side is that, as I understand it, "local" island calls would be long distance but calls back to the US would be the same as if at home. So not too helpful to call around the island while there.

For the record, I've used it in Paris and Cancun and had no problems with it at all, both data and making phone calls. In Mexico it's only $2/day, so you can't beat that. And if you don't want to get charged for it, you just don't use it. You have to initiate some kind of use to trip it each day.

I am using it right now in curacao. Service is good only in the towns, on the "highways" no service. To sign up for travel pass i needed to call. The website did not work at all. When i called, the 1st rep said he turned it on and he did not. The 2nd rep turned it on and then the website said it was on. Each day I receive a text saying my 24 hour travel pass is about to run out which I like.

I know somehow Verizon will screw up and my bill will somehow be a lot of $$$ and I will need to "discuss" with Verizon to change the price back to $10.

Back
Top Bottom