vertigo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grassgreen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi all, i think i have been experiancing vertigo but want other peoples opinions please.

Iam 36, fit and work as a dive professional, teaching in open water and also a cavern guide, there is one place in a cavern i go to quite regulary where about 50 per cent of the time i get the sensation of everything spinning around, sometimes it last only a few seconds sometimes maybe 12, then starts to slow until its stops. The particular place is on quite a steep ascent of about 2.5 metres, but always go up slowly. another time i had the same feeling of everything spinning at the very beginining of a dive, was about 3 metres under with no ascent, also couple of other times at depth, 30metres approx. Is this just vertigo, or what? other thing isits very hot here, sometimes maybe i am a little more dyhydrated than i should be. your opinions please. thanks

Perhaps Alternobaric vertigo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Although alternobaric vertigo is more common during ascent, anything that makes the pressure in your two ears different can cause it.

You might want to try some passive equalizing techniques as you approach that particular place in the cavern.

Hi all, i think i have been experiancing vertigo but want other peoples opinions please....work as a dive professional, teaching in open water and also a cavern guide, there is one place in a cavern i go to quite regulary where about 50 per cent of the time i get the sensation of everything spinning around, sometimes it last only a few seconds sometimes maybe 12, then starts to slow until its stops. The particular place is on quite a steep ascent of about 2.5 metres, but always go up slowly. another time i had the same feeling of everything spinning at the very beginining of a dive, was about 3 metres under with no ascent, also couple of other times at depth, 30metres approx.

Hi grassgreen,

Let me make sure that I understand you correctly. Of all the diving/dives that you do, this is the only one during which you experience vertigo? Never any such sensation topside?

Regards.

DocVikingo

like i said regulary at this same point in the same cavern, twice at different place at around 30m, then only one other time on a dive we were at about 3 metres, just going down, about to enter the cavern, nothing ever top side.thanks

Knotical. Yeah just read your link, sounds like it, as always spinning the same way, clockwise, so maybe that is it, but never had a baro trauma or congestion?

...but never had a baro trauma or congestion?

Hi Grassgreen,

Barotrauma isn't necessary to experience alternobaric vertigo.

Eustacian tube congestion/swelling often is the cause, but not always. Also, you may have some congestion/swelling but not be aware of it as such.

Knotical's suggestion is a good one. If that fails, using a long-acting decongestant
while diving may provide some benefit.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Another thing to consider is whether the episodes of vertigo are associated with particularly poor visual references. If you are at all prone to vertigo, situations where there is no visual reference are likely ones for it to occur.

thanks for they replies, dont think its to do with visual reference as iam ascending close to cavern floor/wall and can see it very well, as for conjestion never felt any problem in my ears, but i have broken my nose, and after its not as straight as it was!! and one nostril is not as clear as the other?? any connection with my problem?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom