Very detailed SM S-drills video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its a nicely shot video for sure, but i would really like to have seen the S drills done from donor breathing off the short hose too..... breathing off the long hose for the OOG drill is the easy option.... it would be nice to see it done well, and slowed down with the process included of identifying the short hose in use, and moving the breakaway long hose on the shoulder clip for donation......

Great video all the same though......

Looking at SM for the future, thanks for the flix!

nice video~

and I've just bought the online sm training video from steve martin, it is very good as well. He told you many useful techniques...

Very nicely done, but I'm watching wondering "What's the point?" Having to do it implies at least two catastrophic failures of my rig.

Hey thank you, I don't understand what you mean by 2catastrophic failures? An S drill is much more than OOG. It is trim, buoyancy, light management, hoses management, positioning and the list goes on..;-)

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2015 at 11:53 AM ----------

Yes, I agree, we will do that in the future..

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2015 at 11:56 AM ----------

Sorry, I havent seen any of his new online materials, for sure they wil be nice as well.

I meant that for you to need to share air with another sidemount diver he would have had to have lost access to the gas in both of his tanks at the same time. TSandM sometimes talks about the "Little House on the Prairie" scenarios that she was presented with in some of her GUE training. There are places where you can wind up in sidemount that make sharing gas an impossibility and the long hose just an extra impediment.

oopppss--yes, you are right, we also use the LPI on the left side, my mistake

---------- Post added May 4th, 2015 at 05:32 PM ----------

Hi, ok..I see what you mean, that is a whole other discussion...and later one we start to donate bottles...not?:blinking:
Let us put it this way...from now of on we stop practicing and teaching Sdrills for SM divers...? not a very good idea true?
Like I said before, it is NOT about OOG..it is about ally these other things divers need to practice.
Managing your light, hoses, kicks, communication and the list goes one.
S drills they are called, the S stands for safety, is a way to prepare yourself for an emergency, maybe thats why it is not called "OOG drill"
Regards
Mike

---------- Post added May 4th, 2015 at 05:38 PM ----------

Hi, SM is an awesome way of diving, however don't buy that crap that it is the only way, it is just another way..the coolest way of sure ;-) but not always the easiest

Wow. Great video. I learnt about 50 things watching that. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Ron, yes I have gone through all that "house on the prairie " training as well..;-)
1.Now what if you dive with a BM diver ?
2.S drills is not just practicing for running OOG, it is way of practicing everything, kicks, buoyancy, hose management, lights, positioning etc..
It is unlikely someone will be in front of you, exactly at the same level etc...you have to look past the simple fact of OOG.
For example ; I have 2 students practicing an S drill...and they have to decide the direction..where goes diver 1?, can he still reach his dump valve? and use his light?, what do we do with the line or SMB...touch signals...you see?
3.You suggest not practicing OOG?

Very nice! This is one of the many reasons I love SB....exchange of knowledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom