Video of new Hollis 16W LED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here is a video of my first dive with my new 16W LED shorty. As you can see - VERY little to no ambient light. The beam in this is perfect for NJ diving. Really nice hot spot that slices through the murk - and - a outside ring of light that is perfect for a good field of view - WITHOUT sacrificing the power of the hotspot.

This dive is at 111 feet in NJ and was 57 degrees.

Lobster - its whats for dinner on the Jacob Jones - Cape May NJ on Vimeo

Thanks for the video, its nice to see the light in action and I have to agree it does look very good!

It does look good on a Dark Dive as pretty much any light will. By itself it looks great, I'm curious to see it side by side with a 21HID on a bigger wreck (More important, cover distance and wider beam to see more of a wreck). For recreational diving in the NE it will do the job. If you get into Technical it is nice to be able to adjust the beam and the other aspect of light is for communication. When you have brighter dives the LED still has problems showing up compared to the HID. Your video is nice, would be even better (no hot spot) if you had an adjustable head. Hollis is suppose to be working on a full array of lights, wondering what else will be coming down the pipeline?? They are making some good, quality products.

It does look good on a Dark Dive as pretty much any light will. By itself it looks great, I'm curious to see it side by side with a 21HID on a bigger wreck (More important, cover distance and wider beam to see more of a wreck). For recreational diving in the NE it will do the job. If you get into Technical it is nice to be able to adjust the beam and the other aspect of light is for communication. When you have brighter dives the LED still has problems showing up compared to the HID. Your video is nice, would be even better (no hot spot) if you had an adjustable head. Hollis is suppose to be working on a full array of lights, wondering what else will be coming down the pipeline?? They are making some good, quality products.

As I come up and over the split of the wreck and meet back up with my dive buddy- his beam is a Dive Rite HID - for comparison.

For me - I have no desire to get into "cave" technical dives. Im all about NE wrecks. For what I need - I think this light is perfect. I have more footage - but wanted a short edit. I signaled a few guys from pretty far away and the light seemed to work great- but as you mention - thats easy in low ambient light conditions. Also - light signaling is our secondary form of communication - FFM with COMMS is the first (although not all of us have them yet)

I came VERY close to getting an HID - but in reality -since Im running the boat - my gear sometimes gets bounced everywhere as the other guys are getting ready. I dont want to worry about someone not being kind to my light, then not having it function since HID cant stand up to the beating that LED can.

I think each has its use and place in the market - but I would imagine that LED slowly takes over the entire market for sub 30w lights - over the next 2-3 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom